Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've gone to the Holley website and could not find anything to cross referece this number with. I think I want to rebuild this one for fun. I'm a really boring guy...

Here's what is stamped on the carb

LIST 7508-1
and below that 0810

I printed out this document that was supposed to have every model number they ever made from the Holley website. 7508 or 0810 aren't on there.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good thing you included a picture. I looked in the buyers guide listings in the 1992 Holley Performance Parts Catalog and #7508 isn't there. The catalog skips from 7456 to 7556.

So I started cruising through the pictures to see if I saw one like yours with that rather distinctive fuel bowl. Paydirt on page 37 at the bottom. That, my friend, is a 280cfm two-barrel replacement for the dreaded Variable Venturi carburetor.

Interestingly the carb is not mentioned anywhere else in the catalog that I can find. Further, the part number shows as 1-591 for the non-feedback carb (which is the one I think you have since I can't see the feedback motor from a V. V. carb stuck on it anywhere), and 1-684 for the feedback version. This is interesting in itself as Holley part numbers that I'm familiar with start with 0- and the have a four or five digit suffix. Perhaps since it is not a performance carb it is listed under some replacement part category.

HTH

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
why bother i have a couple of good 4 bl holleys sittin around if your bored. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'll just save it for historical purposes. Thanks for the information. Now I wonder where it came from. The PO did a lot of mickey mouse sloppy work on the rest of the car, so it doesn't really surprise me.

280 CFM? What was stock on a standard 302? It was an Autolite, right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stock two barrel on a Ford V8 is an Autolite. On the left side of the carb on the float bowl you'll see what looks like a casting mark. It'll say something like 1.08, or 1.12, 1.21, etc. This is the size of the venturi's in inches. The 1.08 and 1.12 sizes are the 289 and 302 carbs although the size is more determined by year than displacement. I've seen the 1.12 on a 67 289 that appeared VERY original (as in never touched LOL!) and 1.08's on later 302's.

The 1.21 and 1.23 carbs are for 351 and up engines. The 1.23 appears to be a later model than the 1.21 which is interesting given that the 1.12 appear older than the 1.08 given what I've seen over the years.

Anyway the 1.08 flows 200cfm while the 1.21 flows 360 cfm. Any of them will run and drive but the larger ones may have a bit of a bog at WOT.

Transmission kickdowns might be an issue as I think some of the older carbs didn't have provision for auto trans kickdown. The trans kickdown cable connected to the pedal arm on older cars. The later carbs will have this for sure if they're newer than about 1970.

Oh, and what trans is in the car? If it's an AOD then the only carb that will work (besides the one its got and a V.V.) without a custom TV cable is from a mid eighties F150 with 302/AOD.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man I love this site! Always tons of information. Thanks, Parker.

It's a C4 trannsmission.

Several of the vaccum ports on the carb were plugged by the PO with bolts and what not shoved in them. Since the car runs well, I just thought I'd better just leave it alone. I think that I'll keep thinking that until the time comes for a new one.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Good to see another Texas Cat :sun:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I'm pretty sure that it's a Economaster carb as Fitted to the 345 international V8.
They have a Booster Venturi that looks like the segment's of a lemon.
Gives good low Speed Torque and Economy.
Great throttle Response from Idle..
It's not a Progressive secondary job but it's butterflies are the same as the 350 .
Hope this helps
Cheers Datto Australia.
I have one on my G60 Patrol and the Grunt I get is Awesome.

I've gone to the Holley website and could not find anything to cross referece this number with. I think I want to rebuild this one for fun. I'm a really boring guy...

Here's what is stamped on the carb

LIST 7508-1
and below that 0810

I printed out this document that was supposed to have every model number they ever made from the Holley website. 7508 or 0810 aren't on there.

Thanks,
Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts