Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to the left of the driver side fuel door mounting hole and below the tail light assembly area there is a hole. I can't remember what this is for? I don't remember it at all actually.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man Puma I don't know what to say. The first picture that you were talking about was after it was media blasted? Why the heck would a hole be there now and not then? I blew up the first one two and don't see it. I will have to look back through some other pictures. Sure don't see why the painter would put a hole there? That wouldn't make sense either. It is a perfect hole. No sharp edges like it was drilled or anything. ??

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Puma, I went back through the pictures I took as I was stripping the car. You can't see the hole when the bumper is on and from the inside the tail light protectors hide but when the bumper was removed the hole was there? Was there a tow package on any of these cars? Maybe this was routing for that wiring?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It is for the license plate light wire and gromet. The bumper covers it cuz the license plate is on the bumper and so is the light.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Puma, I went back through the pictures I took as I was stripping the car. You can't see the hole when the bumper is on and from the inside the tail light protectors hide but when the bumper was removed the hole was there? Was there a tow package on any of these cars? Maybe this was routing for that wiring?
Harvey, a tow package was available as a dealer installed/over the counter option. John

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It is for the license plate light wire and gromet. The bumper covers it cuz the license plate is on the bumper and so is the light.
I respectfully disagree. The license plate bracket mounts above the rear bumper. It fits between the tail lights and covers the gas cap on a 67-68. John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Puma is correct, the license plate mounts to the fuel door. The license plate lights are inside of the tail light housings. This hole is actually below the top of the bumper once the bumper is installed? It will not be visible or accessible once the bumper is installed. It appears to be a factory hole however I can't see any purpose for it nor do I recall taking a plug out of it.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Throwing this out there, but did the painter put the car on a rotisserie to prep/paint the undercarriage?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Air shocks, is the hole the size of a Schrader valve?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know what a shrader valve is? The hole appears to be the same diameter as the fuel door mounting holes. You never would have been able to access this with the bumper on if it was for air shocks. The car only had 69,000 miles on it and one owner when I bought it. There was a set of sears shocks on it when i got it. Probably but unknown only second set of shocks? I am not to worried about will just have to get a correct size plug for it. I am not going to worry about filling it and painting it at this time. It just really baffled me.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I did not see it was a 67-68. On 69 the hole is for the LP light mounted on the bumper. I tried to blow up the pick but it did not show well on my phone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts