Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife went golfing and on the way home she saw this sitting on the side of the road for sale. Same color as my 68 cougar. Not sure what it is but from the picture is looks pretty clean! Car is listed for 7'900.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
68 T-Bird...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I absolutely love the 67-69 Thunderbirds, but to the T-Bird crowd these are ******* stepchildren cars. You won't find any Thunderbird specific reproductions for these years, so all original pieces need to be in good shape for it to have any value. With that, I think the $7900 asking price is a pipe dream. Maybe $4k for a well-optioned 68 with the big big-block?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Pretty sure that the only engine was a 429, that is the only one that I have ever found in these 'Birds.
The Lincoln MKIII shared the same platform as the 4 door Thunderibirds. The Thunderbirds and MKIII's had lots of luxury options that are a pain to replace or repair.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The only way to buy one of these is to find a near-perfect example. Limited repop parts, and the afore-mentioned luxury option issues. There are very, very good cars for less than $8K all over the place.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I paid $7500 for mine. Plenty of nice ones for around that money !

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
1968 came with 390 or 429. 1969 429 only.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Plenty of them around - not a huge fan - but I think the 64 looks a bit better. I figured they were not easy to work on.....lotta stuff under that hood

·
Registered
391 Posts
To me, these cars have their charm, but they have to be loaded up a bit. And since I suffered for 12 years or so as an owner of a '69 Mark III, I can attest to the fact that they are unnecessarily complicated, fiendishly so. They do drive and handle beautifully for big cars, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts