Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Behind the rear seat and in front of? maybe behind the cross supports was a cardboard type panel. This seperated the trunk from the rear seat. What was this called and Does WCCC carry it? If not does anyone know where I can get one? Thanks Harv

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
The rear seat divider, was some kind of fibre board. WCCC looks to have metal replacements. Or you can pick up the flimsy ones from any mustang dealer if local. I bought the cheap one and not very happy with it, anyone have luck with the metal ones?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Rear seat divider. All the vendors should carry it. Shipping for you would cheaper for you from NPD in Detroit, unless you got other items to buy from WCCC. John has nice ones as well.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My recollection is that people install the metal ones to seal the trunk off from passenger compartment as a precaution for a burst gas tank.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Correct, their have been a a couple of different news reports covering that subject. Same problem with the 70s/80s Chevy truck with the gas tank mounted on the outside of the frame rail. I have Jeep Grand Chorekee's and there is the same concern with them as well having a rear fuel tank. They sit up higher and in a rear end acident the car nose will go under the Jeep and rupture the fuel tank. All of mine have a trailer hitch installed which acts as a gurds against that happening.

Here is the 60 minutes report on the Mustangs. I remember seeing this on TV a few years ago and remember that the rear end hit was so hard he died before the gas and burning happened, but still a concern.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/05/17/60II/main47539.shtml

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My recollection is that people install the metal ones to seal the trunk off from passenger compartment as a precaution for a burst gas tank.
Yeah, but for that to be effective you need to seal the trunk off completely. To do so it is necessary to close all the holes in the package tray, sail panels and all the other holes, gaps and spaces left when you install one of those plates behind the back seat. Think about it.......

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to stay away from the metal and get as close to original as possible. To bad this is my first car. I would have been a lot more careful with the removal if I had know that some parts were going to be dificult to get. I really didn't damage much of anything but would have documented and been more careful anyway.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Don't forget the felt insulator to go between the divider and the rear seat. Pricey but a good place to have it.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't believe I removed a felt insulator? Should there have been one there?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Okay, does Mustangs Unlimited have the "metal" replacement panel. Now you've got me worried about it. After seeing how well the front bumper didn't hold up when my son wrecked it...it literally sheared it off right at the point of impact....

View attachment 28624
Jay,

You asking me or telling me? The way the sentence reads it sounds like you are asking, but no question mark.

If you are asking, what do I look like, the MU part lookup service? (Actually, I feel like one recently!) :buck:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/search_sorted.asp?Keywords=trunk+divider

·
Registered
980 Posts
Jay,

You asking me or telling me? The way the sentence reads it sounds like you are asking, but no question mark.

If you are asking, what do I look like, the MU part lookup service? (Actually, I feel like one recently!) :buck:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/search_sorted.asp?Keywords=trunk+divider
Sorry Bob, I was on the phone at the time I posted that and didn't really pay too close attention to what I was typing....I am old what can I say. :) Thanks for the link, I'll go and check it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts