Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought i bought and xr-7 because the emblems ouside the car and the dash interior says xr-7, but i looked up the door code and it said standard coupe. what are the differences between the xr-7 and the standard. the car is a 1969.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The XR-7 is the luxury model. The dash is different in the sense that it is a woodgrain look. It has a built in Tach and clock. It may also have an overhead console. The seats are usually leather.
Overall it's a nicer, more luxurious interior. I believe there is no difference as far as the drivetrain is concerned, nor is the suspension any different.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where is the clock located in fron of the driver or in front of the pass. my interior is either leather or vinyl i have a clock in front of the pass, i have switches in the middle of the dash for courtesy lights, i have xr7 logos inside and outside the car but my code says 65A (1969 year). the dash dosent look like it was ever removed.
thanks
dave

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
xr7 or not? that is the question.

Dave,
Look at the VIN. It should read some thing like this 9F93H500000. If it reads 0F91H500000 the 91 being the number your looking at, Then it is a standard if it's a 93 then you have an XR7. the F may be a R this is the plant were the car was built F= Dearborne and the R= San Jose the H is for a 351 2V ti could be M=351 4V, S=390 4V Q= 428CJ or R =428CJ ram air the 500000 is the consyctive build number and will be a bigger number. You will find the VIN on the drivers door, the dash on the drivers side at the windsheald. On top of both shock towers(but you have to remove the fender to see it) and on the Dearborne cars on the body buck tag on the core suport above the passengers side headlight. Hope it's a good car regardless if its an XR7. they are fun cars. Neal.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Could be 1A rather than 14. Data plate doees translate as a standard coupe. Looks like someone might have upgraded it with XR7 components some time during its like.

Are you able to find out any ownership details?

VIN=9F91HS79069

Year=1969
Body=Standard,Hardtop
Engine=351-2V W
Seq=79069

65A T 1A 09F 46 2 X

Body2=65A - Standard,Hardtop
Color=T - Red
Trim=1A - Charcoal Black Corinthian -- All Vinyl
Date=09F - JUNE 09
DSO=46 - Minneapolis/St.Paul,MN
Axle=2 - 2.75 Non-Locking
Trans=X - FMX Automatic

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
XR7 trim code

Dave,
I can not find 14 as a trim code for a 69 cougar. the code is usualy a number falowed by a letter. The 1= standard bucket seat. The second would be the color code. Were A= black, B= Blue, D= red, F= Saddle, G= Ivy gold, K= aqua and Y=nugget gold

For 69 with T color 1A 1432 made and 1D 1489 made are the most common, 1B only 2 were made and and 1G only 1 was made. This info is from "Cougars by the numbers" by Keven Marti. You can get a production report from him. Heres a link to his site,

http://www.martiauto.com/index.html

Good luck. Neal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well my entire interior is dark green, the dash the seats the carpet , headliner and all.
i dont get it, the interior looks to be origibnal,
any ideas
thanks
dave

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
XR7 trim code

Fave.
My thought is the interor has been changed. I like the XR7 interor better than the standard. Are the bucket seats high back or adjustable head rests? do the seats have map pockets on the back? High back are 70 seats the map pocket is an XR7 thing. I don't find dark green as a 69 color, though I thought it was. But the VIN does say it's a standard. How does it drive? I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun with it. Neal.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
XR7 interor.

Dave,
Sorry about the "Fave" name on the last post. If you look at the photos section for Neals XT7 I posted a picture of mu 70 XR7 with the door open. Take a look and see if that is nearly what you have. Heres a link if it will work,

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=9

Thanks, Neal.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Does the door tag match the window tag? Someone could of changed doors and not removed the tag. Or someone rebuilt that one and changed both tags if you think the XR-7 intrior looks factory. Deaper searching begins, check with Kevin Marti.

Rick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the seats are not highbacks, they have the map pockets in the back of them, they are dark green and i cant find any listing fore them. the car has no center console. i am starting to wonder what type of CRISIS that this car has been through. it is maroon now but friends of mine own a body shop and i am thinking of black pearlized green paint. Only thing i can think of that will match the green interior. I am upo for any ideas if you have any.
anyway the car has no rust just a couple of bubles in the paint but no rot. just cant figure out what all the stats are on the car.
thanks
dave

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Do you have any pictures you could share, that might help out with the experts here. Good interior, tags, etc. Thanx

Rick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tell me what this means the vin on the winsheirld reads
9R93H506871
the door reads
9F91H579069
data plate on door
65 A T 1A 09F 46 2 x it is definatley 1A
the title reads 9R93H506871 1969 merc
any info
thanks
dave

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Dark7068 is right I bet, your drivers door has been replaced sometime in it's life time I bet and they didn't take the time to replace the door tag. Your drivers door is off a 69 Standard coupe, but your car is indeed a XR7...

Which would also explain why the interior optioning doesn't match up. You'll be happy to know that if you go through martiauto, they'll have all the original door tag info on file and can create you a new door tag that's correct for the car, that is if you care. :)

The R in the second position indicates the car is a San Jose, CA built car. Your door is from Dearborn. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is their any other location of the data plate in the car?
curious what trani and rear i have.
and the code for the interior.
also where can i find the production stats for the vin i have
thanks
dave

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Dave,
The door has been changed. You have a XR7. Your car was built in San Jose. To find out the original build info you will need a report from Keven Marti. The original paint color may be visable in the trunk or other places. That is if it has been repainted. You may be able to find a build sheet(paper) some were under the carpet but I wouldn't count on it. The one from my 69 390 4V San Jose car is prurty much unreadable. The good thing is the title and dash VINs match. Neal.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Dave,
Keven Marti produced a book on cougar numbers. Not having all the data I can only get you some data. The basic report Keven does will give you tons of info like the true build date, the date sold the dealer name all the option stats on how many built with the trim and paint color engine and trans combo.
What I can tell you is 14.160 69 XR7 hardtops with 351 2V and FMX automatic trans were made. Not knowing the original color and trim code I can't give you that number.In all 23,914 69 XR7 hard tops were made. Just wondering, whare are you located? Hope we have been some help. Neal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i am located in new york (long island), the car came from colorado. I just have never seen this color interior before and i am wondering what the deal is with it. its really clean and seems to be original.

·
Registered
364 Posts
OR!

...the door is original and the rest of car was replaced!

just kidding, dave. they're right and it's nothing to get upset about. if you don't get a new door plate made, at least do the next owner a favor and take off the one you have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts