1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's a G! You can tell by the door mirror and the Rader (sp?) wheels. And it has a sunroof if you look really close.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Great photo. It sparkles in places as only a new car can.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The rader wheels sure look nice polished up and new. Could be the one Virgil Brown owned? I think he had a nice green with saddle interior G. I wouild think it could be figured out as it has to be a DSO 84 G car green with saddle interior. Royce or Jim could look it up.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Huh, thought they were all white walls back then. Wasn't aware of the wheels, just leaned something. No neck line? maybe she has the dress on backwards.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
No G center caps and no door tag.

Where did you get this photo?

Obviously some sort of auto show in 1968.
I noticed that too! Preproduction show car?

<table id="Contents Table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1968 Mercury Cougar XR7-G 14 X 7" Rader Wheel - Used
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: RADER
Price:$585.00

This is a very rare wheel found only on early xr7G models. Soon after being put into service the wheels were found to have multiple short-comings including flexing, cracking and lug seating problems. They were officially recalled and replaced with...

</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Cobo Hall, 1968 new car show; this was the G car that would have been given to Dan Gurney, but of course he had a falling out with the factory. It is owned by a collector in Livonia, MI

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Not that it's a big deal, but if it's the black Gurney car the owner don't live in Livonia Mi. I'm going to get the b&w photo my neighbor has. It's from the 1968 Auto show at Cobo Hall in Detroit. Back then the auto show was in Dec of 1967. If I remember the photo right it didn't seem to be black. Hard to tell in a b&w photo, but it didn't seem to be that dark.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Hello Jim, was the car sold and licensed on the road? What kind of milage does it have on it now? It sure looks sharp in the picture but the dress has got to go. Thank you BossGTE for the awesome picture.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The pic in this topic's original post looks to be dark green, not black

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That's a GREEN car, I wouldn't think one would put a SADDLE interior in a BLACK car. My monitor shows GREEN clearly in the door jamb area.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I agree that the pic makes it look dark green, but the only G that I know of that was ever at Cobo Hall at the show was Gurneys' black car. As far as I know that car has not subsequently ever been shown to the public. And, Jon, did Joe move ?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I don't know the last address you had for him Jim, but Joe has lived in Allen Park for years. Jim a question for you if I may? The pic that my neighbor has (if I remember correctly) is of the prototype. Back in Dec of 67 is when Detroit put on the auto show. This is the question, I believe all the hertz cars and dso 84 were made in Feb.or March or even later. Once again you would know better then I would. Wouldn't have Gurneys car have been a dso 84 car? I lost my copy of the G registry when my computer crashed. I'm just thinking this car on this thread is not the one at the Detroit auto show.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Jon -- You are absolutely correct. Don't know why I said Livonia as Joe looks nothing like Jack Roush :) The picture at the beginning of this thread is definitely of Cobo Hall; I have other pictures of this same display but without the G car in them. Check the background picture of Gurney, for instance. And my copy of the G Registry is out in the shop and I'm in the house at the moment. Can't recall of Gurneys' G car was an 84 DSO or not, but probably. Will look tomorrow.

·
11,000 Posts
The car that Gurney never got was built in March 68, long after December 67. The only G that existed in December 67 was a converted '67 that is copper colored in all photos I have seen. This one has a lot of proper March '68 looking parts on it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
What is that in the picture, instead of head rests, it has material/leather just sitting on top and draped over?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts