Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where the front fenders bolt down to the inner fenders or the engine bay, there is a black putty like sealer. What is this? Also around the fuel tank in the trunk seams to be a putty type sealer. Should this all be removed and then replaced? if so with what? I am jumping the gun as I am not at this point yet but am gathering a good deal of info so that when i get there i will already know what to do.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Dum-dum, or seam sealer, I would guess.

Regarding the removal, well that I would think depends on the condition, and how far you want to go with your project.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
194 Posts
Howdy all,

a putty knife or scraper is my first choice to remove that fender strip caulking; not too large or flexible of a blade. The remaining residues can be softened with some more or less appropriate type of solvent, then scraped and wiped some more for desired results.

laquer thinner has worked well for me, but I have become more cautious using that stuff, as it is easily resorbed by unprotected skin and may cause permanent damage to nerves and kidneys. Acetone works well, too. A pair of nitrile rubber gloves and a well ventilated area are good precautions so you don't have to worry too much. To my experiences, thinner may effect the original paint in the engine compartment, Acetone is somewhat easier on the finish.

While we're at it, the butyl caulking sealant found on our windshield frames usually reacts very well to simple brake cleaner. Used it on both the T-5 and the Cougar to clean the frames when I had to install new windschields, and on my buddies 72 Chevelle as well.

Hope that helps,

Simon

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is called strip caulking, and it is available from Ford dealer also 3M makes a version of it. It is mainly there to stop water and dirt from getting into the seams and sitting there. Like Smith Brother said. It really depends on how far you are going to determine wether you are going to remove and replace it or if it is in good enough condition to then just add another strip of caulking and bolt the fender or gas tank back in place.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not really sure of the condition but I figured once I removed the fenders and or gas tank I would need new softer stuff to reseal them. This stuff is original from factory and kinda hard!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Do all of our cars (mines a 69) have this? I noticed it on some fender/apron interfaces when I took fenders off (three cars worth) but not all. I thought maybe a body shop used it and that perhaps the factory did not. I still have some of my box of 3m black strip caulk left and certainly could use it when the time comes (in the next week or so).

Very interested to hear what the restorers have to say about this.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts