Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the door need to be removed to remove the hinge pins if the fender is off?
If the door has to come off what is the best way to take it off and get it back on and aligned?
Once off whats the best way to get the pins out and in?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I like to take the hinges off one at a time to rebuild. Make some outline marks so you can line it up easier when you put it back on.

The best way to get the pin out is to cut it in the middle with a cutoff wheel and they will pretty much fall out. After putting the new ones in I cut the extra length off with bolt cutters and mushroom the rest with a BFH so it can't work its way loose.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Does the door need to be removed to remove the hinge pins if the fender is off?
If the door has to come off what is the best way to take it off and get it back on and aligned?
Once off whats the best way to get the pins out and in?
A door jack is the 'best' way to remove and install car doors. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200370076_200370076?cm_ite=805001&cm_pla=Auto%20Repair>Auto%20Body%20Repair&cm_cat=Nextag&cm_ven=Aggregates

As far as the hinges, your best bet is to take them off, mark location before you do, Use a vise and drift punch to remove the pin.

When I did mine I steped up to the next size oil lite bushing, thicker. Larger OD same size ID and reamed ( USE a REAMER not A DRILL BIT) the holes in the hinge to accept the larger sized oil light bushing. The holes on the hinge were elongated from the pin. No sense in thowing the hinges away.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have found it is much easier to remove the door, mark the hinges position on the door and the frame before removal, you need a vise to hold the hinge. Some pins are bradded on the end and need to be cut off before driven out, if you are lucky, all you need to do is drive out what is left of the old bushing and install the new one, but if the hole is oblong you will have to re-drill the hole and install a oversize bushing which can be bought at a auto parts store. Life is like a dance, you learn as you go!

All of the replys came in while i was typing, man am I slow

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have drilled a couple small holes in the hinge, say 1/8" one on top of the other, and inserted round pins when reinstalled. I did it when I knew the door was gaped properly before hand, for sure. I plugged the hole once the pins have been removed. Have used MASKING take to line out such too.

Yep, I know PURIST wouldn't want to do this, but, I'm a believer, IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CUT ONE UP.

Dale in Indy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts