Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 cougar with the original 302 in it. It's been taken care of with the original 155K miles on it, but she is getting worn out. There are no leaks, but feel a thicker oil may be better.

Here is my question...What is the best oil to use for an older engine with 155k miles on it?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Thicker oil isn't better - you do however need to have an additive that contains zddp/zinc to maintain the valve train properly. That isn't something offered in modern oils except racing or specialty oils. You can get teh additive at most good parts sotres. I like Valvoline VR-1 and pick it up on sale when I can....it's readily avaiable. 10W-30 is what you would be looking for

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Personally, I would run 20W-50 in an engine that is high mileage/worn. For ZDDP, I buy ZDDPlus, http://www.zddplus.com/ Lucas is supposed to be good stuff as well although I have not used it (other than to turn the gears on the demonstrators in the stores!).

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up. Im changing it this weekend, and appreciate the input. I've never heard of ZDDP, but will look into it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts