Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '70 with a 351-2V. It's a California car, so it has the gas tank vapor recovery system. There is no place on the air cleaner to attach the hose from the charcoal canister; I am used to seeing it run to a fitting clipped onto the side of the air cleaner hub, but there is no hole for this. I am, however, missing the snorkel portion of the air cleaner. Does the canister fitting clip to the snorkel on this style air cleaner? If not, how in the heck is it supposed to attach?

I do have the heat stove and riser tube but I am also missing the auxiliary air valve on the passenger side of the air cleaner. That's OK: it just means I get a little extra air all the time. Of course I would like to have everything that's supposed to be there, for originality's sake, so BTW if anyone has these pieces lying around perchance, please let me know. :)

Interestingly, I do *not* have the "spark control module" and associated sensors (vehicle speed and ambient temperature)... and there is a rubber plug in the firewall hole where its vacuum lines should be, as well as a one-piece speedometer cable and no evidence that the module or temperature sensor were ever installed. Anyone else seen this before on a '70 California car?

FYI, my car was a late '70 (05/70 on the door sticker) and DSO 53, indicating that it really is a CA car (the vapor recovery gas tank and plumbing would suggest this too). Weird.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have a 70 Cat w/ calif. emissions. The air cleaner has a "port" on the pass side to hook up the canister. The rest of this setup you mention, is this under the dash? This cat had only 43k orig miles when I got it, & I am 3rd owner. I will try and answer any questions you have.

Cougar Bill

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
air cleaner

Catz I have a 351CJ base from a 72 that has the vent hookup as well as the vacuum door on the drivers side.Works.Has a chrome lid.Also has the little valve in base to operate the heat door.There is no snorkel(missing) and no "S" tube.I also need a 351C "S" tube if anyone has a spare.I cannot comment on the emmisions other than to say I have seen non Ca cars with the emissions set up in that year.I myself prefer the emissions set up for the fact that it stops vac adv from coming on too soon when cold.Any way the 351 CJ assembly can be bought for $100 if you like Thanks Ray/Pacificatz

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ray, just in case your interested I was cruising through ebay earlier tonight and seen the s tube you needed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys... I typed that wrong and now I can't edit the message. The vacuum-operated auxiliary air valve is on the driver's side. Not to be confused with the vacuum-operated hot air door on the passenger side.

Anyway, Bill you say your charcoal canister hooks up on the passenger side, but you don't mention if it's on the air cleaner hub or the snorkel. Also, do you have a 351C? the 351C/Boss 302 air cleaner differs from the others, which is why this is such a pain.

One should note that later versions (e.g. my old '73 setup) use different exhaust manifolds and therefor a different heat riser and air cleaner; they use flex hose instead of the stamped steel "s tube" so however those air cleaners are set up is not as applicable. Yes, my '73 351C-2V air cleaner has the port for the canister on the passenger side of the air cleaner hub, just like my '70 302 did.

Regarding the spark advance controls, yes the relay box is located next to the steering column. It has two vacuum lines that go to it, through a hole in the firewall that is plugged on cars without this system. It also has a vehicle speed sensor that goes inline with the speedometer cable and looks like the sensor that's used for cruise control (if you have both then you get a coupler to go between them). There is also an ambient temperature sensor that mounts in the door jamb. The vacuum advance is run through this unit so that it will only be active under the "correct" conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts