Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me let you guys know what I'm working with. 68 Dan G Special (dealer package, not a XR7-G) The original 302 w the chrome dress up kit (al la DG special) is gone and in its place is a 302 from a 84 mustang. So of course the head lights don't work because none of it is hooked up. I think there are about 3 or 4 vac lines coming through the fire wall from the switch. I have no idea where these lines are supposed to go. Is there suposed to be some sort of vac canister? And what is that big ol thing in the drivers front wheel well? Also, I have the decor' group but the center console is gone and the front buckets have been replace w buckets from said mustang. fun fun..... Once I get the body in shape and the interior lined out then comes time for the 351 w GT40-P heads, AOD and some long tube headers.

Thanks for the help
Austin

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
dg special

My experience with the headlight vacumn apply to 69-70 models but the can under your fender is a vacumn storage tank. I'm not real sure what the 4 lines are other than one supplies you switch with vac two are for up and down, the forth may be for your windshield washers if your car had the pump pedal instead of the electric switch. You probably should get a vac diagram for your year or find a car to look at.
John

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks WVcat,

I just got it a couple of weeks ago. I've been driving it as is while I work on my 71 Ford truck SWB (460/C6 ps & pb). I really haven't had time to even really look the cougar over. I just changed all the fluids and started driving it. In a couple of weeks when I finish up on some small things on the truck, then comes some patch panels and new paint of the 68 cat.

Austin

·
Registered
669 Posts
You have four lines coming out? One is probably for the w/washer foot pump as was said before. The other three are vacuum lines for the lights. One for the reserve tank (that big canister in the left wheel well area. The other two are for the headlamp motors. One to open the eyes and the other to close. There is also supposed to be a one way valve between the reserve line and engine vacuum line. If you indeed have four vacuum lines coming out of the firewall + 1 w/washer line, then that 4th vacuum line is for a tilt away steering option. If you have tilt steering, there's a good chance it's also a tilt away. When you open the driver door, the steering wheel moves out of the way. Look under the dash where the steering column and dash meet and you should see a cable coming out of the steering column tube which goes straight into a vacuum operated solenoid. I think i have a vacuum diagram lying around. If so i could fax it to you.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank cougar one

Thanks Cougar1,

When I get back to work on friday, I will write you back w/ a number. That would be really great. I hate having to push them up and down all the time. Looks like I am going to have to get that check valve from somewhere, maybe one of the cougar specific salvage yards. Now I need to figure out where to get vacume from the engine.

Austin

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Vacuum location

Hi dablack, on the 67 289 engine the vacuum source is at the rear of the intake manifold. There is a fitting with several vacuum hoses connected. Not sure its the same for the 68 302 but it might! Good luck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish

Thanks but it isn't a 68 302. I wish it was. It is a 302 out of a 84 mustang. We are talking 175 hp when it was new. This one is worn out so I'm thinking we are down to 150hp. My 71 F100 w a 74 460 (220hp) runs a lot faster and harder. There are two pluged lines at the front of the carb that might supply vacume.

Thanks
Austin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts