Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see you guys mention XXXXX rpm stall converter when referring to your auto transmissions. Could you explain what this is and what the rpm's have to do with it. And what would I want to have in my 302 4v/C4 auto?

Just trying to learn more :p

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Without going into great detail, a stall converter is a torque converter. It has been machined so that it locks at a higher RPM. Kinda like slipping a clutch. It allows the engine to idle higher without creeping, and in the drag racing world allows you to hold the car with the brake at a higher RPM without the rear wheels spinning. I believe that most stock converters back in the 60s stalled (locked) at about 1500-1800. MM or CougarCJ can probably explain it with more detail, but that's it in a nutshell.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I understand you right then a 3000 rpm stall converter would allow me to hold the brake down while reving the engine to 3000 rpm (without spinning the tires?) then let off the brake and hold on for dear life?

·
Registered
99 Posts
the stall speed also depends on the horsepower and torque that your motor puts out

even though you have a 3000 stall speed converter you may not reach that rpm before it locks up, but i could be wrong on this
anyone care to tell us more?

·
Registered
162 Posts
i have 68 cougar 302 4v with c-4 and 488 gears we drag race. i put a 3500 rpm 9" tci stall converter in it,trans really grabs bout 3200 rpm,i wouldn't want it in a street car .unless you nail the gas it makes your car sound like the trans is slipping (lol),that high stall converter makes it hard to "inch" forward,like in loading it on my trailer,mines not street legal

·
Registered
406 Posts
So what's about the highest rpm stall converted you could run on the street? - Chad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts