Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new one and I hate having to unclip the base, adjust the points, redo the clips, start car, check dwell, repeat until I get them set.

Is there a better way?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is the stock ignition in a 73 Cleveland considered a regular duraspark? I had a standard looking points dizzy that I removed the points and replaced with an Ignitor I. It ran beautifully; but since I don't know why my distributor melted and caused a fire, I am up for a change so long as I don't have to butcher the harness too much- I mean the Ignitor... 2 wires, done.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
No, I believe Duraspark debuted in '77.
You can buy a remanufactured one from any parts store and wire it up easily in an afternoon. It costs about 120 bucks or so, depending on parts sources, etc.
I replaced the one in my Cleveland back in '92 and it trucked along for another 15 years and 100k+ miles. Parts at every parts store and it was easy to recurve and dial in for the older engine.

The pertronix is the same deal as the Duraspark. They're both basically a hall effect sensor that trips the coil. Both need a full 12 volts, so you can't just splice to the + wire in the harness that leads to the points, regardless of choice. Well, you can but it won't work properly.
So, either way you gotta run a wire for 12v+.

The advantage of the Duraspark is that your terminals are farther apart (less chance to crossfire), your spark is able to be higher in voltage, and it is cheaper to service. Often nowadays a cap and rotor for a points ignition have to be ordered in because they're no longer stocking parts. And, the points caps and such are engineered for the electrical constraints of a points system. So there's that.
Burn your Pertronix, and you're stuck. Burn the sensor in a Duraspark, and you have a trip to the parts store, or you keep the $25 part in the glove/tool box.

Duraspark does take away the factory look, so there's that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts