Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is a concourse restoration and are there any specs or books that would give the specifics to ensure one was done right?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
A concours restoration is one where every nut, bolt, finish, part, etc. is exactly as it came originally including the interior, exterior, trunk compartment, engine compartment and the undercarriage.

Several clubs have created judging documents that guide you through the details of most major components.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so how do I contact these clubs and or get the guidance to get started?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Still trying to put together a game plan. Not sure what I want to end up with yet. I know I want factory appearance along with a car I can drive, not trailer!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I know I want factory appearance along with a car I can drive, not trailer!
Then you definitely don't want Concours. You really can't drive a Councours judged car on the street very often unless you don't mind spending hours underneath the car cleaning it after each outing.

Many people restore their cars to a "factory-appearing" level-meaning that visually it looks correct to the average enthusiast.

It sounds like you'll probably be most happy with this strategy. Upgrade mechanicals where necessary and comfort and convenience options to suite your desire for the car in a tastefull and unobtrusive manner but avoid non-stock interiors, paint schemes and such.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thanks all. Still trying to put together a game plan. Not sure what I want to end up with yet. I know I want factory appearance along with a car I can drive, not trailer!
You don't want concours then. The nicer you make it the less you will want to drive the Cougar. My G has been driven a total of 120 yards since I completed it lol.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I definately want to drive it, Reason I bought it. I do however want it as nice as I can. Course I don't want to replace the current vynel top. It's already in real good shape. Intior is in good shape cept drivers seat has some cracks in the leather? I know some or most have said leave the car alone and I might, just looking at all the options, I am not really happy with the survivor look as much as I would be with a new car look. But I am itching to drive it right now now start tearing into it. It will stay in the barn either way till at least april when the salt is back off of the roads.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Cracks in the leather are like wrinkles on our faces... signs of character. Depending how bad it is, try slopping on some Lexol leather conditioner and let it sit a few days. It won't remove the cracks, but it will soften and moisturize the leather, which will make it look and feel a lot better.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where can I get the lexol leather conditioner?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
No I definately want to drive it, Reason I bought it. I do however want it as nice as I can. Course I don't want to replace the current vynel top. It's already in real good shape. Intior is in good shape cept drivers seat has some cracks in the leather? I know some or most have said leave the car alone and I might, just looking at all the options, I am not really happy with the survivor look as much as I would be with a new car look. But I am itching to drive it right now now start tearing into it. It will stay in the barn either way till at least april when the salt is back off of the roads.
"I am not really happy with the survivor look as much as I would be with a new car look"

By reading all your post it appears like you don't own the right Cougar for what you want to do and end up with in the end.
You might be happier selling this Cougar as it is a nice survivor someone will pay good money for and keep the survivor paint job and retain it's originallity. might be further ahead money wise as well. Then purchase one with a good body that isn't so original "easy to find" and do a restore to your liking. You wouldbe helping this Cougar out by staying original and you wouldbe happier doing another Cougar that needs paint and more restore work.

·
11,000 Posts
A concourse is part of an airport.

Concours d'elegance is a French term, signifying an item that is in extremely good condition, capable of competing for a prize.

Often those not capable of knowing the difference confuse the two terms.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
So a concourse restoration would involve concrete and tile?
Correct, along with paint, glass, and carpet.
A correct concourse would mean that the carpet matches the drapes.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
A concourse is part of an airport.

Concours d'elegance is a French term, signifying an item that is in extremely good condition, capable of competing for a prize.

Often those not capable of knowing the difference confuse the two terms.
It could also come from saying the word. In french, concours has a silent "s". A final letter "s" is normally silent in french where it seems most often pronounced in english.

Concours is, as said, a contest

cheers,

Jean

·
Registered
928 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts