1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
780 Posts
If I was going to keep it that way paint would be the first think before I'd show my face in it in daylight.

In reality I'd find a good donor car or shell and do the swap to restore it back but I'd at least take that puppy for a little spin before tearing it apart. I don't think it would be that hard, body and structure wise. New trunk pans and inner wheel wells, new shock towers. Need to take out the big cam and then find the correct heads and intake for the motor to be a little more reliable and increase drive-ability.

For the power he must be putting out those stock exhaust headers must be really restrictive.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Tough one to restore economically.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the VIN is 9F91R518373.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
demolition derby?

J.K.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Looks like a restoration for an ECI!

Hell of allot easier to restore back than some of the rust buckets some people are working on. Only issue would be finding some of the original 427 drivetrain parts.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I would say that it can be put back together just fine. Get a wiring harness from Don, and a set of seats and console. He may have some of the parts not shown, Dash and door panels are usable. I guess it all depends on how far you want to go with it. Other points already made about cam and other things like rear end should be changed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Looks like a restoration for an ECI!

Hell of allot easier to restore back than some of the rust buckets some people are working on. Only issue would be finding some of the original 427 drivetrain parts.
Hey....i like my rust bucket...aka rustomod..... :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
No xport brace or factory braces... Bet this is one twisted cat!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
AMEN to that. Why not? I'd be surprised if she isn't twisted a bit - but I'd try to stop that, and have a fun weekend or two.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
No xport brace or factory braces... Bet this is one twisted cat!
Probably not. The roll bar/cage does a lot to prevent twisting/bending. Probably has subframe connectors, too, along with aux crossmember for rear suspension and driveshaft loop. Without the shock tower braces, about the only thing you'd have to be worried about at all is hitting bumps with the front suspension, which isn't an issue for a drag car other than any hard landings after a starting line wheelie. Street driving without the brace is harder on the shocktowers than racing.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Since the original engine is gone (not sure about the tranny), I don't think it would make sense to try and restore it back to stock. I would do the body work and drive the hell out of it 1/4 mile at a time. In fact if there is someone near by that could put eyes on it I may consider doing just that. Send me a PM, it's worth a steak dinner and a 12 pack.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Since the original engine is gone (not sure about the tranny), I don't think it would make sense to try and restore it back to stock.
I'd sell the 427 block for some good cash and keep the 428 heads and parts as that is probably original being an "R" code 428-4V CJ Ram Air engine that was supposed to come in this car, and try and find a 428 block out there. Haven't seen too many 428's around my area though!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
So is it actually an Eliminator, or "just" a '69 R-code car?
I recall this one being listed a while back, but don't remember the price or details.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
So is it actually an Eliminator, or "just" a '69 R-code car?
I recall this one being listed a while back, but don't remember the price or details.
This is an early (November 1968) standard Cougar, the Eliminator model did not arrive until April 1, 1969.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
IF you don't like just the way it sits, then it will be a big black hole into which you pour money. This is a race car with a cool VIN number.

·
Registered
780 Posts
IF you don't like just the way it sits, then it will be a big black hole into which you pour money. This is a race car with a cool VIN number.
Aren't most of our hobbies this?? At least that's what my wife has told me for the last 10 years! Why deviate from the norm.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Aren't most of our hobbies this?? At least that's what my wife has told me for the last 10 years! Why deviate from the norm.
Why limit it to hobbies? I'd include my house and 401k plan too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For what it's worth, a highly motivated individual (or ECI or SWCI) could make a righteous street car out of this. I am doing this with my drag car. Don't have time to race so I have removed most of the roll cage, put a stock fuel tank back in, reinstalled all the wiring and dash goodies, added exhaust, etc. My car is a plain jane 69 with a 351W so not nearly as interesting as an R-code car. Of course, I spent $250 for the car, built a race car, and have a crap-load of parts accumulated for 30 years, so converting it back wasn't too tough. I would really struggle with a $15K price tag. So... buy the car, sell the motor, nuke the paint job, put a 428 in it, and prowl the streets.

Disclaimer: I drink a LOT of beer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts