Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1974 351 windsor according to the casting underneath. My issue is i want to identify my heads withought pulling them off. I took the drivers side valve cover off and only found numbers that ( cough cough) maybe 9D18. is there a way to measure or look somewhere to find out. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also it seems like they sit high...not flush with the intake....when i bought the car there was a bead of sealant all the way around the intake....

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Look down between the two center spark plug holes. You should see a casting number, something along the lines of 4D 6090 B. Let us know what you find and we may be able to decode it for you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim.....I tried to look...with that 351 filling up the whole engine bay. I couldnt see it from the top or bottom. This is why i ask...there is a gap about a half inch between the intake manifold and the heads, when i bought the car it was sealant all the way around.it leaked vacuum but didnt mix coolant..Ive tried to get it sealed but it always leaks... i changed to a edelbrock manifold and and its been mixing coolant ever since..My gut is saying rebuild the engine and ill definatley know whats its made up of cause. instead of trying to figure out the tricks and corner cuts someones did...Heres a image

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts