Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to site and new to cougar...I have a canary yellow 70 cougar eliminator- vin correct, my problem is I cant find much info on the motor...it appears to be a shelby 351 id stamp appears to be right. Does anybody have any info on how to find out about the shelby motor, I have been told shelby put some 351's in the eliminator, how do I know if its correct for the car? What is the value if it is correct..Also I have been told that the wheels are shelby, and say magnum 500 any clues..

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hey gzelimator and welcome.

I've learned to never say never regarding Carroll Shelby, but I have am not aware of Shelby modifying any Cougar Eliminators, nor am I familiar with any "Shelby" 351 blocks.

Your Eliminator should have a good old m code 351 Cleveland. Same 351 all m code '70 Eliminators received.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shelby valve covers and previous owner thought it was a shelby..., thanks for the welcome..any way to tell if it is the matching motor or does the mustang-torino mean it came from either-car is in good shape very little rust and the odom says 42000, but the 2 is slightly lower, drives well has a hurst 4 speed, no major mech. probs. Interior is good. paint only has 1-2 bubles Any idea of the value...Im not asking exactly only estimated value. Thanks, for your time

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Look for partial vin at DS rear deck.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The back of the engine just below the head. It is hard to see, but if you use a small mirror and flashlight you should find a partial VIN that will include the last 6 digits of the VIN on your car if it matches.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Where on driver side exactly, not familiar with cougars yet, sorry
You ready? Okay, here you go:

Look at the left bank.

Any questions?

:buck:

E-Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great info, will check tomorrow, great pic..I posted a couple of pics, on of the motor valve heads any thoughts on the shelby valve covers? I cant figure out why the car is so well kept and then added wrong covers?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The covers were probably just purchased over the counter back in the day.

I hate to say it, but I don't think it is a real Eliminator. I say this because they didn't have the cougar script on the quarter panels. Does it have a passenger side mirror? Woodgrain or black dash inserts? Crest or running cat on the fuel door? Trunk prop rod? The spoiler certainly looks original, haven't seen many that didn't have a sag in the middle.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Those valve covers are out of the Shelby catalog (they never came on any production Shelby Mustang) that Shelby started selling after he sold the Cobra name to Ford.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Hmm, I see an XR7 dash, and Ginger interior. Neither of those two things came on Eliminators.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hmm, I see an XR7 dash, and Ginger interior. Neither of those two things came on Eliminators.
In 1970 any non XR7 interior could be had in an Eliminator so absolutes need to be avoided (we do know of at least 1 verified 1970 Eliminator with a 5F interior).

As was previously mentioned your quarter panels should not have the Cougar script on them. Your vin could be an Eliminator, but is not currently in the registry. The only way to know for sure is to either find original paperwork, such as a build sheet, or pay Kevin Marti for the invoice or Marti report. www.martiauto.com

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
In 1970 any non XR7 interior could be had in an Eliminator so absolutes need to be avoided (we do know of at least 1 verified 1970 Eliminator with a 5F interior).
Then the CCOA judging book is incorrect.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts