Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1zhelp: Okay this is the scenario!! My 1968 XR7 351W 2v..... is sitting there starts fine but i have a slight knock in the engine, passenger side, so i remove the valve covers and take a look at it. They all look okay, pretty much the same height.... then i stopped the engine, unhooked the battery and removed two spark plugs.... to check the condition, a little black and screw them back in making sure they are nice and tight. I think too myself.... the Cat's been running a little rich.... i think i'll just back her off a bit. So i take my screwdriver and turn the fuel screw on the carb (Motorcraft 2100??) like half a turn leaner. I hook the battery back up and turn her over. Except she turns over and doesn't idle!! she dies!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!! :p: So she started and i reved her a little and then nothing!! Then i went back and tried to un adjust what i previously adjusted.... if you know what i mean!! but the same thing!!! I try again and now she won't even start.... just keeps turning but never starts!! HELP!! Okay i admit i'm not the best mechanic.... infact i'm quite poor but i don't think what i did should have caused this!?!?!?!? but you tell me. The car has a Pertronix in the dist and a Flamethrower coil, everything else is pretty much stock!!
Thanks for all the help!!

Stu - :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe if you loosened the screw,(I think that's what you meant) It could be flooded,turning it to the right to tighten it should cause it to run leaner,but only at idle condition.

Tim

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes!!

HA HA HA HA!! :D Yes i put the wires back on the right plug... i did them one at a time!! but please do not underestimate the lack of mechanical knowledge i possess!! :D Joking i'm not that bad!!! I want to say it must be something simple!! I don't know.???.. any ideas??? Why won't she start!! :cry: Would me messing with the carb do anything like this? Or should i say could the carb be detuned so the engine wouldn't start?? I can't believe it is something to do with spark plugs?? All i did was take them out and inspected. She just won't turn over!!! ARGH!!! HELP :1zhelp:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
wont turn over??? Does it crank or nothing. If it doesnt crank, then you have to tighten the battery post, a loose post (one thats just put on) will not give enough juice, done that lots ;)

Let us know if it cranks, or not.

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
You did reconnect the battery....right! Joking, :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorted!!

Thanks guys!! Well how wierd is this i looked everything over and thought it seems like it is not getting enough spark!! so i looked under the dist cap i noticed my pertronix was way out of place!! So i re aligned it and hey presto!! Wierd though i hadn't touched the distributer??? Do the ignitors sometimes move?? It is screwed down really tight!! Oh well sorted now!!
Thanks again

By the way i am kinda confused on the terminology of crank?? Does it mean it just turns but no fire?? Well i understand it is the starting process. Lets just say the engine cranked and fired, it just didn't start it just kept turning and as i said earlier just wasn't enough power.... electric power!! Oh well i've learnt something!!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Hey Stu
Process if elimination. You need air gas and spark. Airs pretty constant so next time if there is a next time toss a little gas down carb or see if spark is happenin and that should give you idea whats failing.
Catzya

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
my defination of crank is " turns over but no fire" :D Im not familiar with the ignitor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts