Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No body laugh, my car will not smoke the tires from a stop. What gives does anyone else out there have this trouble. Its a fresh motor mild cam, carter 625, edlbrock manifold 15 inch tires with 3:55 gears. I want smoke on demand I'm not asking to much of this combo??? Maybe I need to rejet the carb got stock rods and jets as far as I know. Any suggestions. besides installing a 427:D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Tire smokin' Cats

Geee, I wouldn't know about non-smoking Cougars. Both of my 73 351CJ cars have no problem whatsoever. (Well, at least they didn't when they were on the road instead of all over the garage floor in pieces.)

My 'Beta' Cat even won a smoky burnout contest at Norwalk (OH) Raceway on a Ford vs Chevy day. I was pitted against a V8 Vega and I literally smoked his as5 :D . I was even turning a pair of old 8" slicks when I did it :eek: . After the first five seconds I couldn't see a thing for all the smoke. The track officials had to wade through the smoke and knock on my window to tell me to knock it off, I won. My car is ~stock except for a set of 3.70 gears. Just a nice healthy 351CJ, stock dual exhausts and the stock CJ high-stall torque converter. Nice thing about those CJ converters is they have a 2700rpm stall speed :cool: . This car runs [email protected] at the track, on street tires. This car, straight punched on the street, will light 'em up for around 60', posi.

My Alpha cat? Well, lets just say that it needs slicks to get a grip at the track, running high 12.80s at 106mph. On the street, it will burn through first, halfway through second, and still break 'em loose in third. This car is not stock!

Scott,
There are several possible reasons your car lacks low end torque. The carb may not be adjusted properly. I hope you're running a dual-plane intake manifold! How's the ignition timing? A retarded ignition timing will kill low RPM torque. Did you degree the cam when you installed it? Try advancing the cam timing to give it some more bottom end. You'll need a multi-keyway timing set for this. If all the above check out, it sounds like your Cat is in need of a higher-stall torque converter. That should 'fix' your 'problem'. One word of caution, though. If you go this route, don't expect any sort of good gas mileage out of your car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
406 Posts
You should be smoking 'em like no ones business. I had a 351-W with pretty much the same set up as you have and I could light them up forever. We're talkin about 50 foot burnouts! In an automatic, and not only that, but my car could chirp the tires going into every gear! I give you now a strong word of caution however. A few weeks ago a friend of mine did a small burnout in a parking lot, in a toyota pick up truck and he got a ticket for it. The cop got him for reckless driving. The ticket in California comes with an minimum $1500 fine, one month lisence suspension, and possible jail time! Of course the judge didn't give him jail time but it was still serious and costly, so if you're going to smoke the tires make sure there are no cops around ;) Cougrrcj has some good advise for you, but just watch out for the angry police.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I started checking for vacuume leaks, found my carb was not bolted down tight. I now does better but still not what I hoped for. When I hook up my vacuume advance I get 40 deg advance out of it. So if I set my timing at 6 BTDC it advances to about 46 - 50 in by 2000 RPM's this seems like alot to me. I know my 440 likes about 36 total advance.

One more thing I noticed is the pavement around my place is super rough almost jagged. I found some smooth stuff and I got my smoke show:D but I still think something is not right.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Scott 45-50 deg = Way too much!!!! Dose your car ping alot? It should with that much advance. May run hot too. Did you use a timing light with the adjustable advance knob on the back? If not you need to aquire one to make sure. I have a new harmonic balancer laying in my garage to put on my car because the outer ring has moved on my original and there is no way to accurately check the timing in that condition. This is not a compleatly accurate way to check it but you can remove #1 plug and turn the motor over by hand untill it starts coming up on the compression stroke and carefully stick a long thin screwdriver through the spark plug hole to find approx tdc and then check your balancer timing marks to see if they line up to tdc. If there way off you need a new balancer. I think if you were really running 50 deg advance you would be having some of the above problems.mm

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree this way to much. Most of the time I run the car with no vac advance connected, I set the timing at about 10 BTDC and it advances to about 36 BTDC as it should be. I think someone has redone the advance curve on the mechanical side, 26 deg with no vacuume is not normal must have been screwed with. The points have been removed and replaced by a Mallory electronic unit but that should have effect on the advance.

This car runs great abouve 1200 RPM but kind of doggie below that, It breaks the tire loose on both the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts but not very well off the line. It don't bog it just dont get with it either maybe this is better than having no traction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts