Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i changed my front and rear shocks today on my cougar and everything went quiete well. took it for a test drive and there was one small problem when the car is going straight the steering wheel is turned to the right somewhat.. it is not lined up correct...it is not pulling or anything but the steering wheel is not lininig up straight with the wheels what did i do wrong and how do i fix it thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
When I was in auto tech school, that was described as a "clear vision" problem. I would guess that the new shocks are magnifying a previous suspension issue. The easiest thing would be to remove and relocated the steering wheel a few splines to correct the problem, and then look at other suspension problems. I.E., ball joints, tie rod ends, etc...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Or you might have a broken rear leaf spring or leaf spring centering bolt. If either of those happen, the rear end can shift on the spring, making the rear end point in a different direction than it should - the front wheels need to be turned to compensate. You see this a lot with older leaf spring cars/vans/trucks - especially those cars with the rubber isolator 'sandwich' mount for the axle/leaf spring. When viewed from behind they are 'dog tracking' or going somewhat sideways down the road.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If all you changed was the shocks, what else would it be? There is no orientation with the shocks, other than pointing the up side up...

·
Registered
390 Posts
The steering wheel is indexed on the shaft spline, if you remove it and reposition the wheel then the sector gear overcenter will no longer be correctly aligned, there is a hash mark on both the steering wheel and steering shaft that must line up. You can't just go and reposition the steering wheel, it won't work right.

·
5,470 Posts
I still think that when you jacked the car up, a broken leaf spring/centering bolt came into play. No other reason for just replacing rear shocks to change the direction a car drives.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry guys i also replaced the leaf springs with espo leaf springs and the sent me all new bolts and things for them could something have went wrong with the installation i got a shop to install the leaf springs

·
5,470 Posts
Measure from tire to the front and rear wheel opening of both rear tires to see if rear end is not properly aligned on the rear springs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
did u drink beer when installing the shocks like most auto repairs require? if so, maybe thats the issue? :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Vinny,

One of two things. The new springs are the cause of the problem OR they corrected an old problem. Still have the old springs? If so, check for a broken main leaf. Next, explain your problem to the shop that put the springs in and ask them to double check what they did. If everything checks out, get an alignment. Make sure the alignment shop knows what happened, so they make sure your car is tracking correctly.

What cougrrcj said could be an easy way to find your problem.

The shocks shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts