Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 68 Cougar the drive shaft is all messed up so I'm looking for another one. A guy locally has a 67 Fairlane that has a drive shaft that he is selling. His car is a 3 speed manual and on mine I did the AOD conversion, but I didn't have to shorten my drive shaft. Will his fit and work? If not what other drive shafts from years and makes of cars will fit?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You can probably have a brand new one whipped up by your local driveline shop for under a hundred fifty bucks... Just give them your old one so they know what u-joints you need/slip yoke/ and make sure you have the right length! You should be able to push it forward a half inch into the trans from it's normal road position.. If now, get one the right length!!!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have my local driveline shop make one, but the two around here in Salt Lake City are horrible. I have had both of them look at my driveline and say it was fine and it's not. The local mechanics around here and friends with old cars have had similar experiences with them. They just aren't any good. So I'm trying to hunt down another one.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
call Don at WCCC and have him ship you one - probably got a ton of them laying around.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the advantage of the new oneis that it is straight and BALANCED to a closer tolerance than the orig---i'd hunt for a different driveline shop---someone that specializes in drive shafts
doctordesoto

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'm doing my hunting right now. There seems to be a good 4x4 shop that has a pretty good reputation for drive shafts and building them. I'll be heading up there to see what it would cost me to have one done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts