Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i know about using a Duraspark 2 and a 85 distributor for a 302ci but what do you use as a distibutor and ignition box on a 351W? are there a lot of options?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
MSD dizzy, 6A box. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You can run the same Duraspark on a 351 as you have on the 302, you just have to change dist. That's what I'm running, and a lot cheaper than MSD

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I think for a street driven car, the Ford duraspark distributor is as good as MSD. Either a 6A or AL is a good box, but so is the stock Ford box. Isn't there an electronic Ford 5.8L distributor??

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like the duraspark. My 1980 cobra with the svo a351 ran 11.8's with the stock duraspark. I have used the msd and the mallory. If you don't want all the cool attachments the duraspark is fine in my book. The duraspark distributor is harder to set the mechanical advance then some of the aftermarket distributors.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
On my 351W-based stroker, I'm running a Duraspark replacement 351W distributor "from a '79 Ranchero" (just to give the parts store something to look up) triggering a very old MSD 6200 (almost 30 years old), that would now be equivalent to a 6A... Yes, I did have to change the limit plate for my desied total advance, and springs for my new rate of advance. But you have to remember that all I wanted was a refurb'd distributor, with new bushings, screws that weren't corroded/frozen...

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
MSD Pro Billet with Holley Annihilator (now Mallory)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The Ford Duraspark distributor from http://www.performancedistributors.com/fordduraspark.htm ($265), plus the HyFire EZL CDI box and Mallory coil (how much for those two), will be my in my 351W's future. That dual point distributor I had custom built I'll bet is the reason for the sluggishness it's had ever since '90, when I had it rebuilt. Edelbrock cam (448/472 lift, low 200's duration)/lifters/dual plane intake. Compression was 9, I think, so not too mean for the streets. She's just never burned the rubber like I thought she would have. Any chance at all that the former Ford mechanic screwed up the cam degreeing? Engine/tranny are out, along with everything else, so I could pick up a degree wheel and check. Eric.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm using a '77 Cougar Duraspark distributor on my 351W. I dont have super high performance stuff, I like to use the factory parts just in case I have a problem... just about any parts store has replacement Duraspark parts.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I adapted the original distributor in my W to use Duraspark and it ran fine that way for many years using, of all things, a Chrysler control box.

Currently I am using a Pertronix trigger.

Conversion to Duraspark used to be pretty easy, get the Duraspark base plate from Ford, change base plate and cut out the wire opening on the side of the distributor housing, install Dure upper distributor shaft, reluctor wheel and pickup. The plate is probably no longer available from Ford and getting harder to find in wrecking yards (The plate, upper shaft and reluctor are probably the same in all 8-cylinder Ford distributors from 1975 to about 1983-84)

·
5,470 Posts
I got my remanufactured Duraspark distributor from AutoZone for around $60. Everything new. New pickup, new bushings, new vacuum advance, screws that weren't corroded/rusty...

I probably could have used a stock Duraspark module, too, but I wanted the MSD6 for the multiple sparks below 3000rpm to help with emissions - my car had to pass the tailpipe sniffer!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Pick-n-Pull on the IL side of the IL/WI border has an '84 F150. Not sure if it's a 351W, but may head down there this Saturday. Are the years for Duraspark II '77-'84? Any makes (all ford/lincoln/merc)/models/years in particular that I should focus on with my quest for the distributor/coil/module/wiring harnesses (or disregard)? Eric.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I think Ford started with the duraspark in 74. That quoted price for a new duraspark to me is waaay out of line.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Pick-n-Pull on the IL side of the IL/WI border has an '84 F150. Not sure if it's a 351W, but may head down there this Saturday. Are the years for Duraspark II '77-'84? Any makes (all ford/lincoln/merc)/models/years in particular that I should focus on with my quest for the distributor/coil/module/wiring harnesses (or disregard)? Eric.
Look for a distributor with one pigtail/connector with three wires.
DS/II distributor has two pigtails.

DS1 has a control box with a blue grommet
DSII has a control box with a brown grommet

351W distributors have a 5/16" hex for the oil pump drive.
302 ---------------------1/4" hex. (Check with an allen wrench)
351c, 351m, 400, 429-460 all have similar distributors but the gear is slightly larger.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so i know about using a Duraspark 2 and a 85 distributor for a 302ci but what do you use as a distibutor and ignition box on a 351W? are there a lot of options?

....man did i even say this right? i dont think i used a Duraspark 2 box cause it had the blue grommit and doesnt say 2 anywhere on it. whats the difference between a 1 and a 2? Also ive seen some in cars in the junkyard with yellow grommits..... what are those? i believe they had more wires coming out of them too.

·
5,470 Posts
Like I said, AutoZone has remanufactured 351W Duraspark distributors for ~$50 linky here Actually, $45 exchange, plus a $14 core charge if you don't already have one... Can't go wrong for that price! The stock Duraspark module is another $27

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have always used the duraspark blue in the duraspark set up. If my memory serves right the yellow or brown does have an additional plug, but I have used a blue on these before. I can't recall any problems or what I had to do to make it work. They are not too hard to wire in. I've put them in other peoples derby cars. I think the blue requires a resistor. It seems like I remember one of mine melting the epoxy for lack of resistor. I think the duraspark red is a non resistor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts