Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my neighbor has a 1968 F-250 4x4 sitting next to his house. He bought it new and only used it once or twice every summer to pull his small boat and carry the camper. It is all original, no accidents, 40,000 original miles, and has the big old 460 v8 in it. It still runs and drives as he goes out and starts it a couple of times a month. Only thing I can see wrong is oxidization of the paint so it should look great polished up.

He offered it too me with the camper for a deal that I don't think anyone could refuse.

What do you think is is really worth?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK I may be wrong as I think the engine is a 390 as I read they didn't come with a 460 in these years.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Our '69 F-250 had a 360...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will find out more Monday evening and get a picture to post as I am out at the lake for a couple of days and thinking about whether I should go for it for $1200.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Man for 1200 bucks if it runs, and drives you cant go wrong even for a daily driver!!! Let alone a cool truck!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't think twice about it for $1200. In fact I wouldn't hesitate at $2000 based on the way you described it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
X3 - would jump on it if I were you - cuz you can dump it on anybody else for that easy enough if you don't want it later (hint hint, nudge nudge!) I like that Merc truck Don posted - COOL!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
www.fordification.com is a great website for ID and tech with a really good forum too. $1200 for a all original 1 owner sounds like a good deal to me. 390 was H code and 360 was Y code in the VIN for 68. Both 2 bbls.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm beginning to think it ISN'T the deal it was first thought to be, why would it take so long to decide?

Can't wait to see the MOST THOUGHT AFTER REQUEST,,,,,,,,,"pictures".

I hope I'm wrong.

Dale in Indy, home of the 400 Nasty care race, TODAY

People are asking, WHY HAS NASCAR LOST ITS APPEAL. Personally I feel they have HYPED it to death, and too many races. But they haven't asked me.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My neighbors in question has the 2 tone red and white color scheme kinda like the one in the picture Don posted. The only thing that has been replaced on this is brakes, battery, and alternator.

Can't wait to get back home from the hot weather here at the lake to see it and go through it and get a couple of pics.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm beginning to think it ISN'T the deal it was first thought to be, why would it take so long to decide?

Can't wait to see the MOST THOUGHT AFTER REQUEST,,,,,,,,,"pictures".

I hope I'm wrong.

Dale in Indy, home of the 400 Nasty care race, TODAY

People are asking, WHY HAS NASCAR LOST ITS APPEAL. Personally I feel they have HYPED it to death, and too many races. But they haven't asked me.
Well Dale, if you read above, I was out of town and was only told this by the neighbor as I was getting into the car to leave for my trip and I had never seen the truck before except for at a far distance.

So the neighbor wasn't home when I got back 20 minutes ago and decided to walk over to just take a look. Turns out that he must know nothing about trucks or he must of smoked too much of the good stuff before I saw him a few days ago when I was leaving.

The truck looks to me to be a 1977 F-250 Ranger (Highboy) 4x4 with the 460 and manual shift and looks (for the 2 minutes I looked at it for) to have the camper special options on it. One rust area that is an easy fix on the drivers rear wheel well.

Here is a couple of pics and let me know what you think it may be worth now? When I am not so worried of the dog running out I will get some better pictures.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
AFter seeing the pictures I would still say for 1200 bucks it would be outside my barn! If it runs you got nothing to loose?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AFter seeing the pictures I would still say for 1200 bucks it would be outside my barn! If it runs you got nothing to loose?
It runs great from what I have seen. I have seen him start it up a couple of times now since being at our new house and sounded smooth and started with one click of the key. I have also heard him a couple of weeks ago pulling it up the side of the house from the back. I have never really paid attention or really seen the truck before now though (up close and less than 50 + feet away.) and I only had it stuck in my head since he brought it to my attention a few days ago about him wanting to sell it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would buy it in a minute, as long as the underside looks good. Trucks down here don't last that long, most are rusted beyond recognition and they still want 2 grand.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took a quick look and I saw no issues at all on the underside, mounts, or frame rails. We are right on the West Coast or I should say, the wet coast.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Trucks are very hot property here, (Redneck Heaven) That would run between $4000-$4500 here. Probably more if it were a true Camper Special

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I'll have to get the VIN and run it to see what it came with. Any ideas on a site or how to check the VIN on these trucks?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have the factory '77 Ford Truck Shop Manuals. Get all of the information you can from the driver's door ID tag and I can tell you what the truck came with originally.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts