Mercury Cougar Owners banner

What kind of water do you STRIVE to use?

• Distilled Water

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Whatever comes out of the hose

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Water? We don't need no stinkin' WATER!!!

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean BESIDES coolant and additives - I know y'all go 50/50 with coolant, plus a couple bottles of water-wetter, but besides that - what do you use for WATER?

C'mon...fess up y'all

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I used distilled or at least purified if no other choice to keep as many of the hard parts of the water out of the system. the water here is really hard and full of minerals so it can really mess up the cooling system if it isnt watched.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bruce, Bruce, Bruce...*slowly shaking head similar to the way one does when he finds out his son has been having unprotected sex with the neighbor's daughter*

Just 'cause we're in California, and I happen to live in the Silicone Capital of the World (ahhhh...wait, gotta savor the moment here for a minute ;) ) oh, OK...just cause of THAT, doesn't mean we always drink bottled water! For pete's sake...the water at our house comes in BIG JUGS (wait....gotta stop and savor that moment too ;) )

I have always put water in from the hose, but recently (and on this forum, I believe! :mad: ) I have been exposed to the idea (heh, heh, he said "exposed") that it would be better to put distilled water in the system. Soooo...when I recently replaced the radiator in my wife's Suburban, I filled it back up 50/50 with distilled water and Prestone Coolant. It felt kinda cool to do that :lol2:

So, I have an extra 3-gallons or so, that I'll put in my Cougar when I put the new radiator in THAT too!

Which, BTW, is not to say it will get anything but hose water from this point forward :lol:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
We get distilled water for free from the petrol station, add 40/60 coolant, now what is "water-wetter". We have fluoride added to our tap water, what sort of effect does that have in radiators.
Otherwise is pretty cheap to go buy a 5 litre bottle [about 1 gallon] of bottled water from the local supermarket, cheaper than a trip to the petrol station, costs about $0.50c.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is more than you'll EVER want to know about Water Wetter :lol:

It's designed to increase the cooling capacity of water...It probably says in the link how it works, but I prefer to think of it as Magic! It really works, as does This stuff

I've used both before, and both work...can't recall why I settled on the Water Wetter...probably because it's cheaper or something practical like that *LOL* Oh, plus it's red!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
good ol Play Dough

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Play Dough? Whatchewtalkin'bout, Willis?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
what you talkin bout? works great and the temp guage never goes up even.... wait..... sending unit is unplugged..... back on..... WTF???? 280??? uh oh......

:D

i use tap water. its free

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, that's whut I thought you were talkin' 'bout...just wanted to make sure it didn't have anything to do with goin' fishin' with Shane... ;)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
not sure if id go fishin with him. probably not even for all the gophers in Texas.

on topic again... i just dump a gallon of antifreeze in then fill the rest with water. is it bad to not mix it before i throw it in? ive actually heard that it makes a difference. weirdos lol

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm with you in the junkyard if it DOES make a difference *LOL* The last tiime was the FIRST time I ever mixed the antifreeze with the water first, and that was only 'cause I didn't know how much coolant it would take, so I just wanted to try to stay at 50/50. I try pretty much to stay at 50/50 regardless. But I usually mix the coolant and water with the engine's own special "beater".

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just walk out into my backyard chip a piece off an iceberg floating by, melt that down, mix with the coolant, and pour it in.

I use tap water.

Paul said "hose" he he he

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Coolcat - I went to high school in Livermore, but the "silicon valley" I was talkin' 'bout is the San Fernando Valley, home of the silicon chest! :lol2: (yeah, yeah, yeah...I know it's saline now, but you get the idea :D )

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
"I didn't know how much coolant it would take, so I just wanted to try to stay at 50/50"

You could have just looked it up in the book,:). I found out the other day that you get different %'s coolant, I did wonder why some were more expensive than others. Used to moan at the one place cos' the other place was so much cheaper, man, am I red in the face now.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, the book only works for an EMPTY system...the motor keeps some of the old stuff in it *stickin' tongue out atcha*

·
Registered
151 Posts
Remember that movie "Red Dawn". When thier truck broke down at the beggining and the radiator busted or something. They filled it up with thier own mix.

Well, that's not what I use...half gallon of antifreeze, rest tap water. For now anyway. Gotta remove upper hose this weekend, so I'll be more scientific when filling her back up again.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hmm, did not think about it along those lines Paul, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will take heed of your sage advice and store it away in the files for future reference.
:tongue: :finger:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Something to keep in mind for you distilled water users...

I'm not a chemical engineer, so I can't vouch for the truth in this AT ALL, but when I was selling home water systems I was told that when water is stripped of minerals it will go to its surroundings (block, radiator) to leach the minerals from there. So, it's possible that a vehicle that has only used distilled water to show more corrosion than one using tap water.
Do you think any car dealer or service department is going to pay extra to put fancy water in your car ?? Not likely.
The only place I use distilled water is in my water injection system; plastic bottle, plastic lines but metal orofices into the carb. Want to keep those clean.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts