Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there with a excellent quality paint job, and how much did you fork out for it?

Flames? Fades? 2 tone? Murals?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The last time I talked about this my computer crashed... The car is still in the paint shop, as of now it's at alittle over $11,000. Doing a color change on on it. No the color's don't change it's going from diamond blue to calypso coral. The last time I seen the car it was in a million piece's. I tried to post some pic's before and during shot's in my gallery, but they keep getting rejected for being to big.... Jon

·
11,000 Posts
MEGABUCKS.....

WOW Jon,
That sounds like more than a paint job. Did the body shop have to disassemble and reasemble the car? Was there a significant amount of body work? That's a lot of cash.

Royce

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I did mine myself in my dad's garage. I'm not a painter and this was my first try. It definately is far from concours quality but I can say I did it myself. I also learned a lot and my next one will be better.

I used House of Color products ($$$$) because they offered the color shade I wanted and spent real close to $1,000 for the color, the clear, the catalysts, primers and reducers. My opinion is that it looks better than what I spent and if I had paid someone else to do the level of quality I did, it would be probably in the neighborhood of $3-4,000 just for the paint. I also spent about 4 months of weekends doing bodywork beforehand.

I also neglected to mention that the basecoat has pearl in it also.

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
dont pay to have my cars painted.I use to do alot of side work in my garage when i was living in RI.now that ill have a 32x60 garage pretty soon i will do my eliminator. It also helps when your father is a salesman for body shop supplies.But after 2000 he no longer does it ..So i pay for my paint supplies, and so far the last one i did(1980 chevy stepside BLACK) came out really decent for single stage black.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
9 Posts
paint

I am close to having my 69 ragtop painted....I am going with the original red. Any recommendations for the best paint system to use? I'll be having a shop shoot it.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Let the shop use what they are used to and what they prefer. You and they will be much happier. It's always smart to go with the same line (Dupont, PPG, HOK etc.) throughout for primer, bases and clears.

Mark

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Royce, this car is a pretty much unmolested car from California 0 rust, and all part's still on car except hood pin's, well I have one of them. Only thing on the body was like two small ding's and even at that you had to be in the right light to see it. Every panel is off the car and has been media blasted and resealed. The guy painting it did my Mach 1 over 10 years ago and the paint on that still look's great. Ya alot of money I know and I had to get rid of alot of my toy's to do this, but something about this G car told me to go for it. By the way this guy doe's alot of the autorama car's for Detroit and Chicago area. Well back to my padded cell............
Jon

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Well, I paid my buddy Terry $50 for the paint job on AlphaCat. That's all he would accept. He said four hours work is only worth $50! Of course this was a few years ago (1984). The paint job still looks great. That job was done with PPG acrylic enamel with a urethane clearcoat. It took almost a gallon of color to cover the car and I ran out of color paint before I finished some of the nit-picky items. Unfortunately, I will probably mess it up when I do my 'detail' work this spring.

The prepwork? I spent three whole days of 'block-and-prime, block-and-prime' to get the absolutely glass-smooth bodywork. There isn't a ripple in that finish, I can tell you! I also spent weeks patching holes, pounding dents and dings, etc.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I once paid $600 for a Candy apple red back in '88 and I paid $2500 for a Calypso Coral Green in '02. Neither are factory correct so getting it 100% correct probably kept the cost down some.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
uhh, i paid like 500 for the 69s body work. i did the work myself and that was the price for basically the paint itself. its really not that hard to do. it was PCL primer, RM DIamont Basecoat and Clearcoat. the clear i used is now illegal in California ( 4.2 VOC i think... now its 2.1 max :D ) i can get a very healthy discount where i work, but i dislike the bosses there so much that im probably gonna quit tomorrow. so no more discount... Doh.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Crazy Cat: My 69 vert is currently getting done for $2700. This includes body repair(patches frt qtr bottoms, door corners, 1 rear qtr patch and 1 wheel well replacement). Cat to be squirted base-clear with the same(original ivy green)color.I feel that it's a great price. I did strip the cat myself hardware wise, & I pay for all sheet metal. My bodyman now does it as a sideline out of his own garage.It has not been totally stripped, but I am going to drive it 1st and show it occasionally. As you can see by the posts, prices are all over. It does depend on what you are planning on doing with your cat. Bob

·
Registered
431 Posts
I went from dark blue metalic to vermillion red.very little body work.cost $5,000.00. PPG base coat clear coat. Good Paint Jobs Arent Cheap... and Cheap Paint Jobs Arent Good....."Mark{el70gato}

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
11000? u can buy a whole car for that. your crazy, no color chage paint job is worth that. but if thats what your paying , it better b perfect, top to bottom , engine bay , etc. geoff.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
694 Posts
Call him crazy for 11,000.00 on paint, but if it's the car he really wants and wants it perfect (and sacrificed other items to pay for it) then I'd call him dedicated not crazy.
Slickest paint job on a cougar I've seen yet was on a 68....it was black and 15,000.00 was spent on minimal body work and paint. The paint job is so nice that all his nos trim he collected for it didn't look good enough against the paint job so he had to send almost all of it out to get replated. Since he is remaining nameless I'll just say he has around 40,000.00 in it and it's not yet done!
I know we can't all afford to have one painted like that but I applaude those that can so I can admire their cars......Keith

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Thank's for the kind word's Keith, I don't mind sharing some of the stuff I did with this car and beleive me I didn't put it on here to brag, more people think I'm nut's then not and already said I thought I was. It's just a passion I have for the G car, and beleive me I sold alot of my toy's and put thing's off to do this. Have a good one....... Jon

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Crazy Cat, the color is called Tangelo Pearl. It's from House of Color. It's a straight basecoat/clearcoat process since the pearl is already mixed with the color. Thanks for the compliment.

Mark

1 - 20 of 34 Posts