Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....is what I said when I pulled the 2V carb off my 67 289. When I removed the gasket between the spacer and the manifold the recess in the manifold on the driver's side was full of engine oil!!:confused: I did notice that the gasket had a torn hole (maybe when I pulled the spacer?) immediately behind the driver's side bore. Anyone have thoughts on how this oil got there?? Is there something I should be doing before I re-install the carb I rebuilt to prevent this?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey, mine had that too when I pulled it apart to change out the spacer to a different one. My roomie told me what it was from, but I don't recall what it was. Anyway, I put the carb back on and have been driving it for two months... so I dunno??

Robert :confused:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
From t he PCV?????? WIERD:1poke:

Don

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I figure too, Don. It's about the only place it could come from. The hose was very oily, I replaced it as well as the PCV valve so we'll see if oil keeps coming through:rolleyes: ...but it shouldn't do that, right???

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That's fairly common. The PCV valve draws off oil vapor and when it cools it condenses and pools in the low spots of the vacuum plate. It's normal and nothing to worry about unless you are burning alot of oil (blue smoke out exhaust).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. The carb was very "dirty" so it was probably not rebuilt for quite a while which would possibly explain why these oil vapours could collect to the amount that was in there. Interesting!!:D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, got the carb back on after my "haven't done this in 20 years" carb rebuild....car started, choke worked, runs great!!! Can anyone spell HAPPY!!!:D :D :D :D :lolani: :lolani:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts