Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Right now im having an issue that i need help finding it so I have to crank the engine for a while sometimes a long time in order to get it to turn over so what could be the cause of the delay? Carburetor, fuel pump or something else?

(Cougar has new battery, starter and fuel filter already)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Be more specific, you say you have to crank it for a while to get it to turn over? or do you mean to fire? If it is cranking and turning over but not firing first check you plugs to see if they are fouled either oil or fuel. Sometimes they foul deep and you cant see if that good. Cheap throw in some new plugs and try it again. Next try a little starting fluid in the carb. If it fire right up then you would guess a fuel problem. After that I would check compression. Oh and along with the fuel problem take your starter fluid and spray a little all the way around the base of the carb as someone else is cranking it. See if the carb gasket is sucking air and leaning the mixture out to much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad. I meant in order to get the engine to fire I need to crank it for a while. The other day as I was pulling out of the driveway and just as I was about to hit the gas the Cougar just dies but I was able to start her right up and I was able to go. I will will try some new plugs hopefully that will fix her

Thanks Harvey

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe so but it is missing the positive cable on the electric choke do you think that might cause problems?

aasx.jpg

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I would say this is your problem. The electric choke may have been burned out, so you may need a new one. Has it ever worked since you've had the car/ carb?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Every time until this past Saturday but I always have to crank it for a while in order to get the engine to fire. Im gonna put some new plugs this weekend and hopefully that will resolve this issue anyways Ive already invested over a thousand dollars on this car and it looks like ill be buying new carb on black Friday.

DSCF2312.jpg

20111017_140757.jpg

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Pretty sure the choke is at least partly your trouble. It need to be hooked up to the STA terminal of your alternator - not a straight 12v circuit. That way, only engine running conditions will affect the choke operation. Also you need to check that it is closed when cold and opens slowly as the engine warms up....then you can adjust the idle speeds once you know it's working........(cold/hot speeds)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I think you are going to find the new plugs make a quick difference. If so great however then you must track down what caused them to foul. I am in agreement that the choke is a likely suspect Maybe staying closed to long or not opening at all? This would cause a rich running car that will foul plugs and cause hard starting.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
When you pull the spark plugs, report what color they are or even a picture. This will help to see how the car has been running. Also look down inside the carburetor and then push the throttle. You should see fuel spraying from a couple of jets. If not, your accelerator pump is bad, but again it's probably the chock.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yeah Chocking the tires makes for a ruff takeoff! As bad as my spelling is I got a laugh outa that! Needed one too. Be curious how his plugs look.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The edelbrocks are very sensitive to fuel air mixture! Try taking the mixture screws all the way out and blow some compressed air thru the circuit srew them all the way in then back them out about2 turns and try and start it up then back each screw out until you get it smooths out and same with th other one! good luck

·
Registered
168 Posts
you may have to lean out the choke to! loosing the screws and turn clock wise untill you have some light tension on the butterflywhile closed!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks graeserhp, I will try that soon.

So I have just replaced the spark plugs with some new Autolite platinum plugs and I did notice the difference pretty quick but it still hasn't resolve my starting issue. One thing I notice that everything time I pull on the throttle cable FAST the engine dies

BTW here are pictures of the old plugs i took off today and they are all the same color

20111119_192204.jpg
20111119_192236.jpg

·
Registered
669 Posts
Definitely running rich.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yes it's rich - if you have problems with throttle response you are probably getting to much fuel for the amount of air/requirements. Eddy carbs are kinda finnicky that way...you may need to jet it down some, I think there is some adjustablility on the primary accel pump you may want to try out first....see if you can lean it out some that way first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts