Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to refurbish the wheel covers for my 1968 XR-7. Can anyone tell me what type/color paints are recommended for this application?
Most of the photos I've seen shows the centers painted red with a black "XR7" painted over it.
And is there a clear overcoat that helps protect from chips/fading?

Thanks,

DCL

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
I'd like to refurbish the wheel covers for my 1968 XR-7. Can anyone tell me what type/color paints are recommended for this application?
Most of the photos I've seen shows the centers painted red with a black "XR7" painted over it.
And is there a clear overcoat that helps protect from chips/fading?

Thanks,

The centers are anodized. I don't have a good pic yet of the XR-7 but the inside of the XR is gold anodize.The out line is gold. The 7 is black with gold outline and the background is the same as this 68 standard.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 bgColor=#000000><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=blockrow border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 bgColor=#000000><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=blockrow border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
DCL
If you want to get fancy you could buy a kit and do it yourself. http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/aluminum.htm

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
In catman's bottom picture at least, the center with the red, the cat and "Cougar" words, that is an aluminum embossed decal. For the black of the hub cap itself (which is stainless), SEM trim black would work well.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
In the top picture the center is also an aluminum embossed decal. The decal pops off easy enough so that the rest of the hub cap can be stripped, polished and repainted. SEM black does match the black. I believe the silver is argent silver but have not found any yet. I am working on refurbishing mine also. Once the hub caps are repainted then I can simply glue the centers back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts