Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Well, I have until about next winter to decide what color to paint the Coug'. I have no idea what color I want! Part of me wants to keep it the stock color, which is the light blue-aqua-teal color (don't remember the factory name).

My interior is teal. I don't really want to change everything. I was thinking about getting late model mustang seats in black leather. Then doing the carpet and maybe kickpanels and part of the dash in black. Leaving the console, dashpad, door panels, quarter panels and headliner in teal. I think it would look kinda neat.

That leaves me with only a few color choices for the exterior. I saw the purple Cougar in another thread, it looks really cool, but I don't think purple is my style. I really liked the competition orange, but again I don't think I want anything real "flashy". My favorite color is REALLY REALLY dark blue, but I think that would hide too many lines on the car. I also really like Mineral Grey, but haven't seen it on a classic car, to see if I really like it or not. I'm not sure if that would blend well with the teal interior or not...kinda iffy. I saw a really dark red (not maroon), it was kinda like blood red. I also don't want flat colors, it has to have sparkles like a new car. A guy my dad works with has a '68 that is ivory white with teal undercoat or something...everyonce in a while you can see the teal in it. I kinda like flip-flop paint to, but I'm not sure what it would look like either?? I saw it on an ac cobra and it was bad as hell.

So anyway, if you made it all the way through all of that, I would love to see pics of different colored 67-68 cougars.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the blood red color I like:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops wrong pic...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Pearl white with a teal flip-flop would be cool The interior kind of limits you. IMHO. I also like the stock teal color and would probobly stick with it...

my .02

don

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the factory color too. At first, I was all about changing it, but it has kind of grown on me. I don't know if it would be the same car if I painted it...like, maybe I wouldn't like it anymore...lol. I wonder if I could put some kinda of color twist into the teal? Something barely noticeable?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think you should go with the dark blue. Dark colors do NOT hide the vehicle body lines. In fact, you can tell a straight car most easily if it's painted black.

Think about Ford 1968 color code X (Presidential Blue) or 1966 code K (Nightmist Blue).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I did dark blue it would be soooo dark that it would almost look black. I also like bright atlantic blue...I'm trying to find pics of that color.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I like the blue keep it the same. It will look good...just my opinion..

Bruce

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, lots of votes for keeping it the original teal. I wonder what a dark emerald green would look like? That might look cool with gold pin stripes. Here is a pic of sonic blue:

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
if you like the origanal color add some pearl to it. or use for a dark blue moonglow blue from 94 it is a great color and looks awsome. It was heidis 94 cougar color may it rest in pieces.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just went through the same thing with my 69 Xr7 vert that is light ivy yellow. It's an OK color(meaning my wife really likes it), but I was unsure what color to paint it. However, after doing some homework, I discovered that the interior-exterior combo was very rare(I'm told 11 units). That made for a easier decision. Yellow it is!
Go with your gut feel, if you really like a color and are willing to change the interior(if you choose), go for it!! Then, it's truely a reflection of your taste. That's part of the fun.
(more then my two cents, sorry) Bob

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Stock Color! Or you might end up next to a Rice Eater at traffic light [lol] that has the same color!

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Catman, that's the same quote my buddy said when I went with mine! (LOL). No prob, when it happens, mine will be way cooler!
(1997 Rainforest Green Pearl Metallic (Pathfinder)

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
You are right Sensei69, I know I would feel cool
too sitting in the cat. I wonder how the person
in the rice eater would feel? [LOF]

My favorite 67 color is Sheffield Silver!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
The Original Color

Is perfect! Don't paint it any other color. My 2¢

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
stock color... only have the paint shop take the black pigment out fo the formula also use some white pearl and some blue/green pearl in it to kick it off a touch. im sure there are metallics in it but id cut those down and use more of an iridecent. i screw around with colors all day so blah.. lol. what color code is your car? maybe i cam make something and mail it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Original color with a pearl clear coat would look awesome. Not too many colors would go with your interior without having to change it. Plus, you have to paint all the jambs and stuff if you change the color.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts