Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 XR7, gold with black vinyl top. I recently restored the interior with the ginger seats with ginger/black houndstooth inserts. They look really sharp. The material came from a place in Michigan that buys the original material that's left over from Ford each year. Now to my question: I want to remove the vinyl top and paint it to look like an eliminator. What color would look best with the ginger interior? I'm thinking the competition yellow or orange. Any ideas?

Thanks,

RayJ

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I liked the Competition Gold (codeU,6166). my self. Its the color that was used on most of the print adds for the 70 Eliminator. Funny thing is on a mustang it was called Competition Orange.

What was called Competition Orange on a Eliminator was called Calypso Coral or Vermilion (code 1,1730-A)on a mustang.
Funny huh?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Typo?

badcatt said:
I liked the Competition Gold (codeU,6166). my self. Its the color that was used on most of the print adds for the 70 Eliminator. Funny thing is on a mustang it was called Competition Orange.

I think you must mean Grabber Orange.

What was called Competition Orange on a Eliminator was called Calypso Coral or Vermilion (code 1,1730-A)on a mustang.
Funny huh?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Well, I goofed, Thanks for straghtening me out. It is Grabber Orange.. But what the hell is "Freudian gilt"? (K,3340-A) I have had 3 70 cougars this color but it was called Deep Gold Metalic.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
RayJ,

Why would you want to convert it to an Eliminator clone? After seeing the photos it looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! It's a perfect combo as it is. IMHO it would be a shame to turn it into something it isn't, when what it IS is damned nice!

Tim B

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm painting my elim clone orange, but none of the Ford oranges do it for me.

I'm going to paint mine something like Vitamin C/Orbit Orange.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ray I agree with Tim on it being a great looking car as is but I understand that everyones taste is not the same. The Ginger int is hard too match alot of colors too and that norrows choices alot but altough I'm not that much on green I have seen some mustangs that the green looked great with when paired with the ginger int. Personally my tastes run with yours on getting rid of the vinyl at least and if you want to E-clone it I wouldnt argue there either. mm

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I'm thinkin' a nice school bus yellow IMHO

Don

with black stripes

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Hey, modify as you choose but remember the resale factor. If you mess with it too much and it is really nice to begin with, then leave it alone. Get another cat with a less desireable color or interior to do your mods on. Just a thought as your car sounds pretty nice as is. Later Cats..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I wanted to use it as a steet/strip car. My 23 year old son and I have been going to the races and wanted to get in the game. Everyone was driving new Mustangs. I wanted something that stood out from the crowd.

I had a new C4 with a trans brake installed, 370 gears, and a B&M megashifter. I have removed the center console (I'm keeping it to put back some day). I am planning on putting the Shelby guage pod on the top of the dash where the speaker is for water temp and oil pressure. I'm trying to keep the look clean and simple.

I put the Magnum 500's on with the blue Cougar center caps. I have the original XR7 hub caps in decent shape. Anyone looking for these?

Thanks,

RayJ

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
What about the 70 camaro grabber orange

·
Registered
246 Posts
72cat said:
What about the 70 camaro grabber orange
Wasn't it hugger orange? Or was there a grabber too?

I saw a Mustang painted Camaro orange, it looked hot

PS: Don't steal my orange! :-D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
modify 2003 Thunderbird Robins Egg Blue Pearl and paint that over the whole car.. its a light powder blue color... when the shop mixes it tell them to leave the black out of the formula and it will look sharp. its a heavy pearl though so be warned. i still think it will work even with the ginger interior.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Wasn't it hugger orange? Or was there a grabber too?
Sorry my mistake, it is hugger orange, must have 'grabber' colours on the brain.:)

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Grabber Orange

I painted my first Ecat clone grabber orange. It is smae color as Scool bus yellow and Competition Gold. Grabber Orange is the Ford name. Comp Gold is Merc name. My orange cat has the houndstooth interior in gold and blk. Its a very good combination.The choices for ginger houndstooth interiors are Dark Blue Black,Red Maroon white yellow and orange. I finally decided on the grabber orange after seeing a pic of # 15 car that won the races back in 1970. My Grabber orange cat is long gone now. :(

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Competition Orange

Correct 69 Eliminator Competition Orange :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts