Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other / Generic

Votes: 18 12.6%

• Total voters
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Napa also has their own synthetic label now. It's bottled by Ashland and is proported to be the same oil as Valvoline synthetic (also bottled by ashland), but it's usually about 2 dollars cheaper per quart.
:badass:

·
Registered
694 Posts
In a used engine I stay with what it had already used. In my race engines we used schaeffer.....a synthetic. Or mobil 1 synthetic which is in my opinion the best readily available synthetic out there......... Keith

·
Registered
694 Posts
I wanted to add that......when I worked for Penske alot of other race teams I won't mention were sponsored by ........pick your brand....oil companies and had there decals on car. They used oil from that sponsor at the track, but the oil in those bottles more times than not were Mobil 1 synthetic instead of what it said on the label!

At Penske, they were and continue to be sponsored by Mobil 1 and actually use the oil they are given.......Mobil 1 synthetic. With all of Penske's resources in Cup racing and Indy car.....they are happy with them and that is pretty telling for the average guy I think........ Keith

·
Registered
80 Posts
Penzoil Hands down,, Backed by Facts!

well, I used to be a Castrol finatic.. Well I met this incerdibly intelligent woman who not only was crazy about me and classic cars but at the time was a R & D Chemist working at penzoil formulating oils!!

Well we got into a discussion about oil, she would always shake her head when I changed my oil.. I asked her why.. Well if you know a chemist, they are very analytical. She began enlightening me about how Penzoil performs thier testing etc. How she had tested other oils and compared shear strengths etc.. The only oil that came close was the Mobil One Synthetic (it exceeded Penzoils standards) Although the Penzoil was lower in its results, the other oils were far inferior to those tests. I have used Penzoil ever since.

I used to not like the oil at all since in the begining it was a parfin base, which of course leaves that waxey deposits found in the top of every chevy Mousey motor. (laregley attributed to poor heat/cooling design) Any way the short of it,, My wife is quite the Lady and knows alot where Oils are concerned, we have both been in the Petro-Chemical busines for awhile. So I believe where it comes to any lubricant or cleaner for the car... lets just say it is "Gospel"

BTW the best oil filter is a centrifugal oil purifier,,hehe but you have to have a huge diesel.. Ok seriously,,
I am a Big fan of "Wix" filters and the use of a dual remote, not stock on your cougars.. I do have me on My trucks though... Also I am a big fan of external oil coolers..
GNB

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
GNB
I have a home made oil cooler on my boat. I ran an external oil filter and I submerge that in a bucket of water. Runs cooler with more pressure. Using 40W as well to keep pressure up in this old engine.

10/30 is too thin and why engines deterioate prematurely. Better oil.thicker oil means longer engine life.
I also use an additive used to be called Moreys that stiffens and stickies up the oil. I change oil every 3000 miles as I don't believe its able to maintain viscocity past 3000.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Mobile 1-not listed for poll, you would think the best would be listed?

LiLWrink said:
Mobile 1-not listed for poll :(:sun:
Being in the construction/heavy equipment industry, I have seen this test performed daily for about the last twenty years. There are some things that you just cant cut corners on IMHO.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The pennzoil is wax based right? I was tearing down a 302 and pulled the valve covers and intake, talk about buildup. It looked like some really thick pudding. I use castrol full synthetic in my ranger and motorcraft oil filters. I think the most used oil filter on fords is the FL1A, which is the fram PH8A.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yeah i'm late getting to this but i definately use valvoline but i use fleetgard race filters. i've also cut open oil filters to compare and fram was pretty low on amount of actual filter in comparission. i did this about a year ago and did not try any generics. i'll spend the extra cash to ensure my oil is clean. it's weird how a company can run so long off of their name, even if their products arent as good as they used to be.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know this is kind of going off thread. But its still oil based!
But my brother works for a chemical company (phelpsdodge) near one of our countrys larger automotive docks (avonmouth). And he tells me that from were he works.He can see the fuel trucks no matter what brand be it a major brand i,e esso texaco etc or a supermarket branded fuel they all fill up from the same tanks!

So all this stuff about our fuel does this and that is it total rot or do you think that this supposed stuff they put in the fuel does anything? or is it just hype to get the Wilber and Mertle's to fill up the station wagon with them?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
ukcougar69 said:
I know this is kind of going off thread. But its still oil based!
But my brother works for a chemical company (phelpsdodge) near one of our countrys larger automotive docks (avonmouth). And he tells me that from were he works.He can see the fuel trucks no matter what brand be it a major brand i,e esso texaco etc or a supermarket branded fuel they all fill up from the same tanks!

So all this stuff about our fuel does this and that is it total rot or do you think that this supposed stuff they put in the fuel does anything? or is it just hype to get the Wilber and Mertle's to fill up the station wagon with them?
Well, if you think about it...... "Use our gas, its the same as everyone elses!" would be a pretty lame sales slogan.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts