Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know that someone's wondering who would be so anal to care, but here's the deal. I just refinished the original SS wheels on my '69, and, in order to have a little different [sleeper ;-)] look than the rest of the Cougar crowd, I'd like to mount up a set of "factory-like" tires.

I don't have a good picture to post, but if you look through the '69 sales literature you'll find a red Eliminator w/ SS wheels and super thin white walls. They're a little strange-looking in that the white wall stripes are a little further "outboard" of the rim than most modern tires.

Anyone know what they were, or who might be making a comparable repro? I looked at the Firestone WW Wide Ovals, but they look a little different...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think they were Firestone Wide Ovals but don't quote me on this. Let me check in my old documents and I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My car came from the factory with styled steel wheels. The factory invoice identifies the tires as goodyear with raised white letters.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
My 69 390 4V came from the factory with styled steel wheels and E78-14 white sidewall tires.(Marti report) I have a Firestone E78-14 Deluxe Champion white wall that was in the trunk of a parts car. I beleve it is a original factory tire. I have not confirmed this and when and if I can I'll post that. Neal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts