Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking for a replacement window for my drivers door, I came across a fella with a bunch of older Mustangs (my earlier post about cat and stang glass interchangability).
After talking to him some more, turns out that he has "some" 67-70 Cougars mixed in with his Mustangs. I even got the drivers side remote mirror with painted base from him that I have been searching over a year for. I picked that up for $25 - of course he's not interested in the chrome base one that I paid much, much more for.....:rolleyes:.
Anyway....He says that he has a complete set of tinted glass in a 70 Cougar and oh, by the way, they are power windows. My questions are: How much trouble to change from 69 manual to 70 power? And what is the setup worth?
I know that they are worth whatever I'm willing to pay, but what is the fair market value for something like this? :confused:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
69 & 70 windows...

I'm sure you have read the thread on differences in 69 and 70 glass. Also note that the regulators are different as well.

Now, with P/W glass, I'm not sure of the differences between years. Heck, I'm not up on the other generations of Cougars -- I collect 71-73s. I can tell you that power glass can be used in a manual car, but since power glass is more rare than manual, expect to pay a premium. Power glass (again I'm talking 71-73s) has a semi-circular cut out along the bottom edge so it can clear the power motor. Standard glass will fit in a power car but you won't be able to put the windows down all the way -- DOH!

The point of this reply is that you would be better off trying to find a set of 69 glass. You'll avoid all sorts of hassles that way. Then again, if you're a masochist... ;)

If the guy has the entire 70 power setup, including the motors, regulators, etc., you'll still run in to the wiring harness issue. I stripped the entire harness out of a power windowed 72 convert. What a hassle that was! Like I said, if I were you I'd stick to manual windows, and I'd try to find a 69 window.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Power Windows

I have responded to this question a few times on this list, and several times elsewhere. My opinion remains unchanged. If you are not restoring to original, a car that had power windows and now does not, NO NOT PUT THEM IN! When I restored my 69 XR7 Convertible I had to replace the manual windows with the power units from another car. My cat originally came with them and I wanted to return it to original equipment. I had it easy, the wiring harness was already there. I only had to run the wiring from the behind the dash into the doors and channels, and reinstall the glass, motors, switches and regulators. The fully functioning system came out of an XR7 parts car, with power windows. 12 years later and I still cannot get all the windows to work both up and down all the time. The switches are now 30+ years old and getting difficult to find. If you can find the switches, they generally do not come with the clips that break when you try to remove the old ones. The rear "pancake" motors are difficult to keep working, and as far as I know are not reproduced. The power windows are neat, and not a lot of the early cougars had them. But they are a consistent thorn in my side, requiring annual maintenence. Besides the maintenance, the parts are getting increasingly difficult to find, and at better than 30 years old how long can we expect them to last. Lastly, if you convert to power windows, you will have to "punch out" your door panels to accomodate the switches, taking away your ability to easily return to non power. My advice, stay with the manual, unless in the case of a resto-necessity.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible
http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, guys. I was leaning toward the manuals, but when I come across something like this that little voice in my head says "wouldn't that be neat...?" and I need some one to tell me that it really isn't worth it. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts