Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hmmm, I think when you push that button it starts snowing in Holland. ;)

Honestly, I have no idea, but it doesn't look stock to me. And I havent found a similar thing in my car, but that's no guarantee.
You might try to find out where the wires go to and what's inside this button box by opening it up. (Disconnect Battery first ofcourse).
About this coffee can, it looks just like the A/C tank in my right fender well.
But I'm probably no help here. I'm sure someone knows.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think I'm really no help here. I'm usually more on the asking questions side instead of answering them. To me this site is like a magic box. Ask a question in the evening and when you wake up the next morning, there's a bunch of answers.
About the can, I really don't know what it does or if there's smaller ones available. I just remember seeing a similar item in my fender well, which is an A/C can according to my assembly manual.
Sorry I can't be more helpfull here. But there will be someone who knows on line later today, I'm sure.
Good luck with it.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
408 Posts
My guess would be that it is a starter button connected to the solenoid. It may no longer be functional. Most British cars of the 50's/60's had these fitted. It meant you could test start the car from under the hood. I think this was before we had a car crime problem :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
when you pushed it was the car on? cause yea 69 cougar maybe right with the starting button thing. it may be for timing, so instead of just having it detachable it may have just been put in to save trouble. but i'm really new to all this car/cougar stuff :) so yea

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
It's been a while since I saw one of those, but I believe it was a reset for the early style electronic ignitions. That's a 74, right? Does it have EI or points?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Not sure. Maybe something to do with cruise control. the can is a vacuum storage canister.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The red button appears to be wired into the starter solenoid and may bypass the starter switch for engine timeing. If this is the case the car should start if in park, or neutral with the key on.
The other is a vaccum canister storage for anything that requires
vaccum to operate, (cruise). This is a smaller tin can (what Ford used) than some other Ford cars and trucks of the era.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you have air.

That can with the two hoses going to it looks like a dryer for the A/C to me. Where do the hoses run to from it? You do have an A/C don't you? I am betting that you do... Doesn't look like any vacumn can I ever saw most especially with two hoses to it and that large of a hose. Just my .02

Ron

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
click on the link to see the other pic

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Your red button is a starter interlock overide. Starting in 74 Ford installed a starter interlock so when you tried to start the car without fastening your seat belt, the car would not crank. The button was incase there was a problem with the interlock( there were so many problems most dealers bypast the seat belt switches) Yours are likely bypast by now. The can is a vacuum tank...

Bruce

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The can is exactly what is installed on my '70. It goes behind the passanger side fender and is an A/C vacuum can. Looks like someone replaced it and put it in the wrong place. You'll probably find that one of the hoses leading from it is larger and comes from the vacuum tree and the other leads to the firewall where it then goes to your vent controls.....at least that is how it is run on a '70.

As for the other part....definitely doesn't look Ford-like. Probably something that was added on as an option. Red button might be a reset switch for an internal breaker....do you have power windows? Is it a convertible? How about aftermarket fog lamps?

Just my 2cents....if you want a picture of the A/C can on my cat let me know....my fender is off right now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'll probably find that one of the hoses leading from it is larger and comes from the vacuum tree and the other leads to the firewall where it then goes to your vent controls.....at least that is how it is run on a '70.

I checked that today and one did go to the firewall, so thats probably what it is.

I'll mess around pushing the button tommorrow and see if it does anything with the key in the ignition.
Thanks alot for the help guys

·
Registered
88 Posts
Other pic.

Bowl thanks, didn't see the link for the other pic. Thought he was talking about the cannister in the first one. and yep your right thats a vacumn can.....
Ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts