Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mini spool in my 28 spline 9 inch. Cant spring for a decent limited slip right now. It hasn't been a problem yet other than an annoyance but I don't want to snap an axle. My tires are 235 Coopers .

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Ruin a set of tires,the annoying sound of CHIRPING around corners,and im sure others will chime in.I had 1 in my 70 many years ago and there not worth it for a street car on the street.Even if you find a open setup its better then the spool setup..

thanks
pat

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yep, I had one too on my other 70, What droptop said...and when making turns you need more area to get it done...lots of three point turns. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but there really is a time and place for everything, including spool rear ends.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I am going to stick with it for now until I do the next rear end upgrade. I don't expect to put a lot of miles on it before that.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Well, another thing to consider is that both rear wheels are pushing power at the same rate/speed no matter what, so extreme care is needed on wet or slippery surfaces. The car will want to 'push' or continue to go straight when you turn a corner. That means that somewhere along the line, one or more tires will not have optimum traction, be it front or rear, so the handling gets quite squirrelly.

·
11,000 Posts
It is just really hard on everything. You will break whatever is weakest in a short period of time, probably wheel studs or one of the light duty 28 spline axles. It's a real bozo move, don't do it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, another thing to consider is that both rear wheels are pushing power at the same rate/speed no matter what, so extreme care is needed on wet or slippery surfaces. The car will want to 'push' or continue to go straight when you turn a corner. That means that somewhere along the line, one or more tires will not have optimum traction, be it front or rear, so the handling gets quite squirrelly.
No problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is just really hard on everything. You will break whatever is weakest in a short period of time, probably wheel studs or one of the light duty 28 spline axles. It's a real bozo move, don't do it.
Nice comment..... so prove it. Have you broken an axle? I am smart enough to know that the weakest link of a system will fail first, that is how I make a living. With this question I am trying to gauge how likely I am to break an axle. I am planning on normal driving with 235 wide radials until I have funds to do the rear end again. From what I have read so far this will not be a problem. If you have a story of a broken axle I would love to hear it and consider it as a safety lesson.

Matt

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
There used to be a guy at the strip who regularly busted axles and studs with this exact setup --- probably more than paid for a better setup in the first place....especially when the tire cocked and logded up under the wheel well on a hard launch, bent the rear quarter. Name was "One Trick Pony" LOL -- he wasn't kidding !

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There used to be a guy at the strip who regularly busted axles and studs with this exact setup --- probably more than paid for a better setup in the first place....especially when the tire cocked and logded up under the wheel well on a hard launch, bent the rear quarter. Name was "One Trick Pony" LOL -- he wasn't kidding !
Was he running slicks?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a car that has thousands of street miles on a mini spool. I bought the car with the spool in it. The previous owner said he had been running it like that since the early 1990s. The car takes more power to pull in and out of tight spots. Other than that its doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You stated in your first post that you don't have the funds to buy a limited slip system, and actually there isn't a solid answer as to when or if a problem is going to pop up, so do your thing, DRIVE IT and YOU tell us if an issue occurs.

You know, as most of us do, it ISN'T meant to be a street set up, so save your money and when you can, make the switch.

I wish you well.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You stated in your first post that you don't have the funds to buy a limited slip system, and actually there isn't a solid answer as to when or if a problem is going to pop up, so do your thing, DRIVE IT and YOU tell us if an issue occurs.

You know, as most of us do, it ISN'T meant to be a street set up, so save your money and when you can, make the switch.

I wish you well.

Dale in Indy
Thanks, I will make the switch when I can and when I do I want to do it right but my Cougar is kinda low on the funding tree for now and I just want to enjoy it a little and keep it from becoming a permanent driveway ornament. For better or worse I have the spool in there now and have to deal with it, after all it is terrible to drive with an open differential. My purpose with this post was to make sure it wasn't certain death for my axles and I think I got that answered.

Thank you everyone.

Matt

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...after all it is terrible to drive with an open differential...
It is? Why? I see nothing wrong with it besides not being able to leave rubber with two wheels. Probably 95% of the cars on the road today have open differential's.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
YES - which didn't help, espeially with VHT on the track I bet. But still....I would get overly spirited with it.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I would not recommend driving that car on wet/slippery roads.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is? Why? I see nothing wrong with it besides not being able to leave rubber with two wheels. Probably 95% of the cars on the road today have open differential's.
Most cars do have open diffs true........ how many 450 horsepower cars with a 60/40 weight distribution have open diffs? When I still had the open differential it was just annoying how easily the car would spin the one tire.

Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts