Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what some of the hardest and rare things that guys restoring their cougars look for out there. I know the cruise control stuff is hard to find. What else thou??

·
Registered
628 Posts
I would say the tilt away steering wheel. I haven't seen one yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know much about Cougars yet, just what my car has.
XR7 428/C6. It has the tilt wheel option, AC, 3.25 trac-loc rear, power windows, black leather, and a bunch of other options. I can't imagine that my car has all the rare options.
Heres what is wierd...it has cruise control on the car, but it is not listed as an option on the Marti.
Why?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I am going to change your question to 'parts in general', John.

1967-68 Standard Cougar convenience group option.

Eliminator dash pieces - all 3 sections.

XR7-G consoles.

XR7-G mirrors.

1970-73 colored rim blow switches (we have submitted the request to the supplier).

1973 tail light lenses.

Sunroof parts - all years.

1971-73 Power seat.

Radio delete plates.

Heater delete plates.

1969 Flow thru ventilation.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I don't know much about Cougars yet, just what my car has.
XR7 428/C6. It has the tilt wheel option, AC, 3.25 trac-loc rear, power windows, black leather, and a bunch of other options. I can't imagine that my car has all the rare options.
Heres what is weird...it has cruise control on the car, but it is not listed as an option on the Marti.
Why?
You could not get cruise with 428 as they were worried about sudden acceleration.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Rich the cruise was added with NOS parts. The original Ford schematics were in the trunk. The AM/FM was nice also, super loaded CJ for sure.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Dual exhaust hanger brackets
Axle and frame rail brackets for the adjustable air spring

·
Registered
928 Posts
You could not get cruise with 428 as they were worried about sudden acceleration.
Isn't that called horsepower? LOL

BTW - Cruise control disappeared from the 71-3 option list. If your looking for one you'll look a long time.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am going to change your question to 'parts in general', John.

1967-68 Standard Cougar convenience group option.

Eliminator dash pieces - all 3 sections.

XR7-G consoles.

XR7-G mirrors.

1970-73 colored rim blow switches (we have submitted the request to the supplier).

1973 tail light lenses.

Sunroof parts - all years.

1971-73 Power seat.

Radio delete plates.

Heater delete plates.

1969 Flow thru ventilation.
I can speak of 71-3 parts

Delay wipers

Tilt wheel

15X7" wheels/trim rings/hub caps

71 - Ram-Air

In the 71-3 year the obscure options that weren't selling like cruse control were removed from the option list, If they were offered either relegated to dealer installed items or possibly included as part of the standard car, but in most cases they just weren't offered.

Other than the sunroof - which actually wasn't installed at the factory, the cars were shipped to ASC for installation. The lease ordered options were all topped the 2000 unit range.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
AlphaCat has just about every option available in '73, so in addition to the XR-7 standard features, it has:

Q-code 351C-4V, which also automatically got C-6 trans w/high stall converter, 3.25 locking rear, staggered rear shocks, dual exhaust
Power driver's seat
Power seatback release
Power windows
Rear defogger (heated glass, not blower)
Leather-wrapped steering wheel - I substituted a rim blow wheel, but still have the leather one around here somewhere...
Spare tire lock
A/C
Tinted glass
AM/FM Stereo
Full console w/clock
Tilt steering wheel
Delay wipers
Handling package (front and rear sway bars, HD shocks)

I think several of the above options are what constituted the 'Convenience Group' (Tilt wheel, Leather-wrapped wheel, automatic seatback release, spare tire lock...)

Anyway, the only option I can think of that it doesn't have is the power sunroof. Well, that and those ugly factory styled steel wheels... ;) Why chrome Magnum 500s weren't an option is beyond me...

Of course, it also had a dealer-installed FoMoCo trailer hitch on it when I bought it, too!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Another rare option was the luggage rack, optional from the factory only in '67. It was also available as a dealer installed accessory in '67 and later years.

·
Registered
928 Posts
AlphaCat has just about every option available in '73, so in addition to the XR-7 standard features, it has:

Q-code 351C-4V, which also automatically got C-6 trans w/high stall converter, 3.25 locking rear, staggered rear shocks, dual exhaust
Power driver's seat
Power seatback release
Power windows
Rear defogger (heated glass, not blower)
Leather-wrapped steering wheel - I substituted a rim blow wheel, but still have the leather one around here somewhere...
Spare tire lock
A/C
Tinted glass
AM/FM Stereo
Full console w/clock
Tilt steering wheel
Delay wipers
Handling package (front and rear sway bars, HD shocks)

I think several of the above options are what constituted the 'Convenience Group' (Tilt wheel, Leather-wrapped wheel, automatic seatback release, spare tire lock...)

Anyway, the only option I can think of that it doesn't have is the power sunroof. Well, that and those ugly factory styled steel wheels... ;) Why chrome Magnum 500s weren't an option is beyond me...

Of course, it also had a dealer-installed FoMoCo trailer hitch on it when I bought it, too!
I'll need to check my books but usully the convience group would not include leather wraped wheel or the tilt,

Your handeling package "competition suspension" would have been part of the 351CJ, Which would have included variable ratio PS, HD fron sway bar, rear sway bar, upgraded shocks, and staggard rear shocks.

Exact competition suspension package would vary depending on if it was ordered on a H code car, or if it was a CJ car weather it was a C6 or 4spd.

73 BTW was the first year that an autmatic was standard, the 4spd was a 14.00 option, the 3 speed was not offered.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
All 72-73 Q-code Mustangs and Cougars got staggered rear shocks, but not all got rear sway bar. BetaCat (also a Q-code automatic) doesn't have rear stabilizer bar and doesn't look like one was removed either, but has staggered rear shocks -- different or no competition suspension package, maybe?
I can't remember what was included in the Convenience Group package, so that was a guess on my part. I know some package got me the spare tire lock, and can't remember all what else was included in that package... Never seen another spare tire lock on any other Cat... BTW, it uses one of the car keys - I'm guessing the trunk key. Been too long since I've seen it.

BTW, I have a factory build sheet for AlphaCat, but much of it is unreadable, due to tar stains.

·
Registered
928 Posts
All 72-73 Q-code Mustangs and Cougars got staggered rear shocks, but not all got rear sway bar. BetaCat (also a Q-code automatic) doesn't have rear stabilizer bar and doesn't look like one was removed either, but has staggered rear shocks -- different or no competition suspension package, maybe?
I can't remember what was included in the Convenience Group package, so that was a guess on my part. I know some package got me the spare tire lock, and can't remember all what else was included in that package... Never seen another spare tire lock on any other Cat... BTW, it uses one of the car keys - I'm guessing the trunk key. Been too long since I've seen it.

BTW, I have a factory build sheet for AlphaCat, but much of it is unreadable, due to tar stains.

I'm going from the 73 Product facts book, which lists the discriptions and codes for models and options.

It actually does not list a seperate ordering code for competition suspension. It does list the the following under the note for CJ Engine
Higher rate, springs, heavy duty shocks, larger diameter front and rear sway bar.

As we know specific, production specifications were subject to change etc but the version of the book that I have says it should have a rear bar. It also shows variable ratio steering is part of the 4spd package.

The convience group lists the following

Trunk Compartment Light
Engine Compartment Light
Deluxe seat belts and headlamp on buzzer
automatic seat back releases.

For you build sheet.

Take a shallow pan ie cake pan or paint pan. Put about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of mineral spirits in the bottom. - Soak your build sheet for 1/2 hour or longer till it becomes readable.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Mitch, when I was researching the exhaust systems, there is a specific difference on Q code 1972 Cougars. There was a 'sporty' version, and a 'quiet' version. I believe that 'sporty' version came with a chromed air cleaner lid with a different tag. i.e. 351CJ.
Could this account for the rear sway bar variation?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Another rare option was the luggage rack, optional from the factory only in '67. It was also available as a dealer installed accessory in '67 and later years.
My one 68 had the luggage rack bolts but was missing the rack. It had the four holes in the center area of the rack not outside like the repros you see today. I saved those bolts hoping someday to find the rack.

Maybe Don has come across one of these factory or dealer racks????

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The air cleaner is for 2 4 barrel carbs, the Ford logo goes on the cut out end. I have only seen these on hot rods. Not a Ford part but pretty cool anyway.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Mitch, when I was researching the exhaust systems, there is a specific difference on Q code 1972 Cougars. There was a 'sporty' version, and a 'quiet' version. I believe that 'sporty' version came with a chromed air cleaner lid with a different tag. i.e. 351CJ.
Could this account for the rear sway bar variation?
The only option in 73 was the 351CJ - so that wouldn't be a factor, possible for 72 though - I don't have a 72 product facts book though

1 - 20 of 38 Posts