Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
no factory sunroofs in 67 unless you count dan gurneys prototype "G". the sunroof was a mid 68 intro item and was not available during the 67 calender year. i believe that the earliest sunroof cars have build dates in february 68. i have one that is feb 29th and another with a later build date but a lower serial number! hawkrod

·
11,000 Posts
There were 200 1967 Cougars converted at the American Sunroof facility making them very rare indeed. I have seen two, both were identical 390 GT XR-7's with tilt, cruise, AC and the Diamond Blue / Blue leather interior. One is currently owned by Len Tullgren of Anaheim, CA who is a member of the So Cal Cougar Club. The other car was in Dallas TX until a couple years ago, a gentleman from central OK purchased it.

Information on 1967 Cougar / Sunroof production courtesy of Werner Meiss, co- founder of ASC.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Mike Brown, president of the So Cal club has told me on several occasions he owned a 67 XR7 GT w a sunroof. I always said he was smoking something.
Turns out he was..

right

·
Registered
240 Posts
lol! i think it would be pretty cool to have one in a cat. like just be cruisin down the road with the top open :) or have like dual moon roofs :) something like that

·
Registered
488 Posts
wow, 67 sunroofs huh? never heard of that. was it an RPO or just something they built? i have never seen any mention of them anywhere. if it was an RPO how did you get replacement parts? its not in the parts book and i think if they built 200 for ford there should be some kind of books or something and i would love to get a copy. hawkrod

·
11,000 Posts
There is a seperate Lincoln Mercury Sunroof manual that has the parts list in it. Most of the vendors offer reprints. It shows the '67 and '68 installations. The parts for sunroof Cougars were never regular stock at LM but were available by special order from the dealer who received parts from ASC for all years of sunroof Cougars including the '68's.

All the '67 sunroof Cougars were convered at ASC's original facility near Dearborn. According to Werner Miess the first batch arrived in June 1967 and took a couple weeks to complete. ASC's facility had a rail yard behind it where the loaded rail cars were parked and unloaded. Cougars were modified in batches and shipped by rail to distribution points for transfer to trucks, then to the dealers.

The cars I have seen are not 6 digit dso although both were DSO 84. Normally a DSO 84 Cougar is an employee lease or sale. I have not tried running the numbers by Kevin Marti.

I have searched for advertising for sunroof Cougars, the earliest I have found is in a December 1967 Dallas Tx newspaper. It has photos of a 1968 Cougar that is sunroof equipped but not an XR7-G.

The sunroof manual is in the archives on this website, has some great pics of a 1967 sunroof Cougar that is dark exterior and interior and an XR-7.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts