Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get good gas around here. They all (three stations) say they have 93 octane but I doubt the rating on the swill they sell. The previous owner recommended Sunoco 94 but it isn't available. I've heard horror stories about burning out valves and getting your engine addicted to STP, etc. Are any of the additives any good? Will any add octane?
:confused:

·
Registered
406 Posts
There are some good octane boosts out there - I like to use NOS's octane boost they make. It's not really nessecary for me right now with the 68 but my last cougar used to like something a little more potent then 91 octane - which is the highest you can get here in San Jose, CA. At a 76 station over here by my house they sell 101 and 104 octane it's pricey at around 4 dollars per gallon. - Chad

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chad,

You feel the NOS additive is safe? If I start using it, will I have to keep using it?

101 and 104! Never heard of such high octanes!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I feel that it's pretty safe. You don't really have to always, but it's best to have a consistant octane level. I think they have 110 octane for sale at sears point, but I can't remember. -Chad

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, chad...

i'll look for the NOS stuff next time i go to the auto parts store. guess it can't hurt to give it a try. i hope, anyway...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
When I was running late models I used to run VP 114. Course it was a 13.8-1 motor also. Used to cost out the wazzoo, would be afraid to price it today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts