Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the 3.7L V6 or 5.0? Anyone do a restomod like this?
What are the issues?
Just brainstorming...

Keifer

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
There is no gain to a V6 in one of these older cougar's.. A 5.0 instead of 302, is a very common swap. There are a few folks who have also retained the fuel injection. That can be a plus, as long as you have everything when you get started. For me, going to a fuel injection set up would not be a cost effective choice.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There is no gain to a V6 in one of these older cougar's.. A 5.0 instead of 302, is a very common swap. There are a few folks who have also retained the fuel injection. That can be a plus, as long as you have everything when you get started. For me, going to a fuel injection set up would not be a cost effective choice.
Brian,

Think he means the Coyote 5.0L rather than the 5.0 Windsor engine. The former (like most modern engines) is wide and would likely require major shock tower/suspension mods to make accomodations.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I keep forgetting about the coyote engines.
An overdrive transmission is of course one of the best upgrades you can do, along with a good electronic ignition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So from these comments, the best resto mod modern engine upgrade would be a electronic/carbureted 302, with a overdrive A/T?

I'm thinking about best drivablility, gas mileage, lowest maintenance, and lowest noise/heat when on the highway.

What about upgrading a 4V 289 to a OD A/T? is that an easy upgrade? Issues?

The New 4.7 V6 and New 5.0 engines are too big for the engine compartments. Has anyone actually converted a 67-70 cougar to one of these engines, with all the computerized ignition hardware? I have a 2011 Mustang V6. The V6 is a great 300HP engine.

Thanks for you expertise guys!
Keifer

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I don't think anyone here has done the homework for a V6. I think an ecoboost V6 turbo/supercharged engine built from the north/south Mustang version would make more than enough power for a Cougar and 6 speed transmission would be neat

Maybe you could measure it up and see if it fits. the V6 makes as much power as our old V8's but doesn't have the touque figures

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If you have a solid car body, with no engine/trans, then you can buy a "donor" newer fuel injected V8, I.E., 5.0 or 5.8 liter, with the over drive trans. While you have the engine out, that is the time to make your reliability upgrades, new timing gear set, oil pump, etc....An Overdrive trans is great for performance upgrades, as it allows you to run a peppier camshaft, and still get some decent mileage. If you are looking at rebuilding the engine that is in the car, then that is a whole other deal. All of this has been covered a lot here, as we are all looking for more performance, better fuel economy, and less wear in a classic body style. Same thing with the mustang guys, and the GM/MOPAR crowd as well. It just really depends on what you want, and how much money you have to spend...

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I always thought a supercharged 5.0 would make a great engine for a Cougar. Nice and light, compact and makes good horsepower - even better if it is stroked to 333.

GM make amazing HP from their pushrod V8's. Don't see why you can't do it with a Ford engine

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't think anyone here has done the homework for a V6. I think an ecoboost V6 turbo/supercharged engine built from the north/south Mustang version would make more than enough power for a Cougar and 6 speed transmission would be neat

Maybe you could measure it up and see if it fits. the V6 makes as much power as our old V8's but doesn't have the touque figures
I'm sorry, but the thought of a V6 in an early Cougar (which is supposed to have a V8) makes me shudder. A significant part of owning a classic muscle car is the the sound of the V8. The blatt of a V6 just wouldn't do it, even if it had three times the horsepower.

Here's a very nice installation of the Coyote 5.0L in a '69 Mustang:
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1202_1969_gateway_classic_mustang_coyote_wild/photo_06.html

This is the best mod to the shock towers with an overhead cam "mod" motor that I've seen. They were able to keep the towers looking mostly stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts