Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first classic car, a 68 Cougar XR7 with a 302 V8. It seems to be in good condition, but i'm just now beginning to dig my teeth into upgrading and fixing the fucker up to a higher standard. All my prior experience has been with modern muscle cars and motorcycles, so to a large degree I am flying blind. My first question would be for the seasoned salty boys out there: what are the first few mods you would recommend? I'm not trying to do a restoration and she is my daily driver, but I live in a tiny town and don't drive much as i'm a dog **** beat disabled veteran lol. I want her to be reliable and beautiful, and have a lil balls, but not be something ridiculous like my last car which was a 700hp Mustang. I have the stock 3 speed automatic transmission in it currently and i'm completely clueless if that trans can handle a head and cam swap etc etc. It is currently about 75% restored, but I frankly don't know **** about what i'm doing here. Some basic guidance and a northern star for a goal would be much appreciated from you folks. I'm replacing the gauges right now since none of them currently work, but i'm trying to figure on where to aim my lonely checking account at next. I'm not wealthy, but i've got a little jingle to jangle with...if my wife lets me out of my cage that is lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Awesome forum....totally helpful. Smh. Guess i'll look for a better forum or talk to old guys at my American Legion post. What's the point of a Cougar forum where nobody responds or helps? Guess the younger generation wanting to continue the love of these classics is not popular in this group.

·
11,000 Posts
I would start with a set of tri - Y headers and a 2 1/4" exhaust system.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Awesome forum....totally helpful. Smh. Guess i'll look for a better forum or talk to old guys at my American Legion post. What's the point of a Cougar forum where nobody responds or helps? Guess the younger generation wanting to continue the love of these classics is not popular in this group.
This is an older forum that isn't frequented as much as it was. Most of us have migrated to the Classic Cougar Community forum

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well I'd find a 351W from one of the many redneck stump jumpers you probably have out there. Rebuild that with a few goodies. Find a 70-76 C-4, better C-4 then the early ones and rebuild that with a few upgrade goodies. Keep the 8" you have probably a 3.00 or 2.80 non posi. Switch it to a posi with 3.50 gears.
Also upgrade the brakes, probably drum in the front. Get some disc for it. You might want to also tone down the language a little. Some on here aren't that salty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm stuck with the 302 for now. Just finished repairing my 3 speed automatic tranny which had a blown out pan gasket and shift linkage, but i'm fully aware it will need a good AOD or C4 at some point. Why does everyone use low gear ratios in their rears on these cars? My old Mustangs I ran 3.73s oe 4.10s what's with the low gears? I have all new drums, but I desperately wanna do a front disc conversion kit, but am undecided as to what company/kit to use. For the 302 i'm thinking about doing one of those Edelbrock Total power packages as an easy solution to deal with the underpowered stock engine. I'm not certain if the stock trans can handle that, but we shall see. As far as my language, i'll be an unapologetic Seabee forever...yal are big boys n gals...thicken up if it offends ya; if I could handle it as a teenager i'm sure yal can handle a few sharp words as adults on a damn car forum lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also can someone explain the difference between the tri y headers and just standard long tubes? I need new headers for sure, but have no clue which ones to buy and what equates to a good bang for the buck quality headers set.

·
Registered
27 Posts
. As far as my language, i'll be an unapologetic Seabee forever...yal are big boys n gals...thicken up if it offends ya; if I could handle it as a teenager i'm sure yal can handle a few sharp words as adults on a damn car forum lol.
Well as a retired CPO Snipe, we big boys and gals don't need your mouth to try and impress. Your skills, knowledge and ability is what will impress us. Get more flies with honey, then with vinegar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha spoken like a true Snipe lol. Settle down Chief, the internet isn't the goat locker. Lol my knowledge is definetly lacking on these old cars, which I felt I made obvious in the title of my post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Goat locker wouldn't have a problem with that. First rule was, never bring your feelings in here. I made Chief in 83 and being an EN, Tincans and MSOs where my can of worms. Seen far worse then that. If you don't have front disc brakes and probably not, there is a guy on here selling the complete front disc brake setup, spindles and all. Looks like all you need is the brake hoses. I would try and get his MC and Prop valve. Check and see if power system. I prefer manual brakes myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, that's good lookin out! I do need front discs for sure Chief. I replaced the stock drums when I got the car with new drums that I got off of a friend, but the braking is still pretty pathetic. As far as the Navy goes I was medically discharged from the Seabees after 5 years as a BU3(SCW). Loved my time in and miss it every day, but my body is all beat to hell from it hahaha, Least I get a nice VA check every month for being all crippled though lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I was a recruiter (2 tours, 79-82, 86-88) putting anyone in the Seabees was a tough one. Only once did I get one, EO, but he had all the experience already. Bad hearing and had to "help him" pass the hearing test. Took 3 times but got him in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Seabees are most certainly not for the faint of heart. The Seabees took me as a tough teenager and then turned me into a dude carved out of solid wood. Dangerous and difficult work, but a lot of amazing memories. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I worked at Camp Buehring, Kuwait back in 2005, for awhile, refueling helos, prior to going to Iraq. The camp was either a dust bowl or mud hole. We had a bunch of Seabees come there for 6 months training. The 10 mile road to the camp was like a wash board. They fixed and paved that. Built cement sidewalks everywhere and built many shaded rest areas for people jogging down roads. The Army Engineers couldn't figure out how they could do this so fast without paperwork first.
Seabees told them that we figure you'll get the paperwork done long after we get the projects done. They got that right. But the Army sure was happy with what they did in 6 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased my first classic car, a 68 Cougar XR7 with a 302 V8. It seems to be in good condition, but i'm just now beginning to dig my teeth into upgrading and fixing the fucker up to a higher standard. All my prior experience has been with modern muscle cars and motorcycles, so to a large degree I am flying blind. My first question would be for the seasoned salty boys out there: what are the first few mods you would recommend? I'm not trying to do a restoration and she is my daily driver, but I live in a tiny town and don't drive much as i'm a dog ** beat disabled veteran lol. I want her to be reliable and beautiful, and have a lil balls, but not be something ridiculous like my last car which was a 700hp Mustang. I have the stock 3 speed automatic transmission in it currently and i'm completely clueless if that trans can handle a head and cam swap etc etc. It is currently about 75% restored, but I frankly don't know ** about what i'm doing here. Some basic guidance and a northern star for a goal would be much appreciated from you folks. I'm replacing the gauges right now since none of them currently work, but i'm trying to figure on where to aim my lonely checking account at next. I'm not wealthy, but i've got a little jingle to jangle with...if my wife lets me out of my cage that is lol.
Congrats on the Cougar! I have a 67 390GT. Still wears its original (but slightly faded) Lime Frost paint.
my plans may work for you as well.
im swapping the C6 for a TKO 600 6 speed. If you dont want to row, theres always the ford non Electric OD. With that you can change the gearing to a respectable 3.73ish im going 4.11 because of the 6 Gears. The Cougar came with a pathetic 3.0 gearing. A set of AFR heads, mild cam, mid rom intake with 650 Holley carb. Round it out with a set of long tube headers
for improved off the line throttle response, and youll have a hell of a fun car!

now, as far as suspension goes. A coil over front is by far the best route. Ad an extra leaf out back to stiffen out the rear. Compliment with a good set of performance shocks.
The GT came with 4 piston front disc brakes. Swap out to a hydro boost and youll have a great stopping car.
These are basics that for a few grand, can put a huge smile on your face.

you’ll find more info if you look up performance mods for 67 Mustang. Same Chassis and drivetrains. Less driveshaft and rear spring length.
Hope this was able to help you.
its more or less the route im taking with mine. Im sure a missed a few possible additions, but im sure you get the jist of it.
Good luck with the build!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased my first classic car, a 68 Cougar XR7 with a 302 V8. It seems to be in good condition, but i'm just now beginning to dig my teeth into upgrading and fixing the fucker up to a higher standard. All my prior experience has been with modern muscle cars and motorcycles, so to a large degree I am flying blind. My first question would be for the seasoned salty boys out there: what are the first few mods you would recommend? I'm not trying to do a restoration and she is my daily driver, but I live in a tiny town and don't drive much as i'm a dog ** beat disabled veteran lol. I want her to be reliable and beautiful, and have a lil balls, but not be something ridiculous like my last car which was a 700hp Mustang. I have the stock 3 speed automatic transmission in it currently and i'm completely clueless if that trans can handle a head and cam swap etc etc. It is currently about 75% restored, but I frankly don't know ** about what i'm doing here. Some basic guidance and a northern star for a goal would be much appreciated from you folks. I'm replacing the gauges right now since none of them currently work, but i'm trying to figure on where to aim my lonely checking account at next. I'm not wealthy, but i've got a little jingle to jangle with...if my wife lets me out of my cage that is lol.
look on my offer up 6095257378.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I haven't read through the replies, but a lot of people are using the Facebook groups. There are lots of them. As one member stated this is an older forum and not used much. Couple of the Facebook groups are 67-68 Mercury Cougars, 1967-1973 Mercury Cougars, there's also a Mercury Cougar Modified group... Just search through Facebook and you'll find them.
But one upgrade I would recommend is installing the Pertronix Electronic Iginiton, it will eliminate the points in your distributor and be more reliable.
Congrats on your Cat purchase and enjoy!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Hey, I haven't read through the replies, but a lot of people are using the Facebook groups. There are lots of them. As one member stated this is an older forum and not used much. Couple of the Facebook groups are 67-68 Mercury Cougars, 1967-1973 Mercury Cougars, there's also a Mercury Cougar Modified group... Just search through Facebook and you'll find them.
Just be careful of the Facebook groups. There is a lot of incorrect information on them. They do provide a great community. Pity there are so many it's difficult to keep up.

Always validate what you are looking for on the Classic Cougar Community forum, where the people with indepth knowledge are found.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts