Mercury Cougar Owners banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm 19, and on my 3rd rebuild on this engine. I turbo-charged a 3000GT with a friend, am currently rebuilding a '66 Mercedes I6 engine, and I am turboing an integra anddoing a 2.5L conversion on an MX-3.

Dont get me wrong. I have alot to learn yet, even about my own engine. I timed the cam wrong, so I had to take it all apart and switch the timing chain around...and my dad is a HUGE help.

But its not for a lack of knowledge that I find this boring...it just seems like you guys would have resolved SOME debates already.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Cougar351 said:
I'm 19, and on my 3rd rebuild on this engine. I turbo-charged a 3000GT with a friend, am currently rebuilding a '66 Mercedes I6 engine, and I am turboing an integra anddoing a 2.5L conversion on an MX-3.

Dont get me wrong. I have alot to learn yet, even about my own engine. I timed the cam wrong, so I had to take it all apart and switch the timing chain around...and my dad is a HUGE help.

But its not for a lack of knowledge that I find this boring...it just seems like you guys would have resolved SOME debates already.
Yeah, your right.. If I were you I'd go hang out on a forum with more guys your age who dont need to argue since they know so much already.. I surf a couple different forums and it amazes me how all these young guys seem to have all the answers and have so much "experience".... I have a couple of them that live close to my shop also that stop in now and then and tell me how fast their cars are... 95% couldnt even set their own timing without help......

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ya'll arent arguing about which cam is better with what intake...it just seems like a silly argument to me weather or not a 351C could have come in a 69 model year car.

I stay on this forum because you guys DO know what youre doing...and Im not afraid to ask a question. I always get the info I need off this forum, otherwise I wouldnt be here, because besides owning a Cougar...I dont have anything in common with ya'll.

But..I'd like to suck all the knowledge I can outta this site :)

·
11,000 Posts
We all have one thing in common.

All of us were 19 once.

Cougar351 said:
Ya'll arent arguing about which cam is better with what intake...it just seems like a silly argument to me weather or not a 351C could have come in a 69 model year car.

I stay on this forum because you guys DO know what youre doing...and Im not afraid to ask a question. I always get the info I need off this forum, otherwise I wouldnt be here, because besides owning a Cougar...I dont have anything in common with ya'll.

But..I'd like to suck all the knowledge I can outta this site :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Cougar351 said:
.it just seems like a silly argument to me weather or not a 351C could have come in a 69 model year car.
Silly??? Call it Barbershop conversation........I can't believe that 19 year olds don't get into any silly disagreements, such as who's the best sports team/figure, whose the best rap artist, who can chug the most beer, etc.

As you state, hang on for the ride, arguments/discussions lead to a lot of knowledge coming forth.......

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well the beer argument is a no brainer. Cheap beer rocks all.

And Tim, I like this quote better, from my hero :)

Far better is it to dare mighty deeds, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those that niether enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows niether victory nor defeat.
-Theodore Roosevelt.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Hey Cougar351,

You're right (about FDR): "The credit goes to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause who at best, if he wins, knows the thrill of high achievement and if he fails at least fails daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat"

So, in that vein, I assume you'll be there with a few drag-ricer types on 5/28?

- Chris

Cougar351 said:

And Tim, I like this quote better, from my hero :)

Far better is it to dare mighty deeds, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those that niether enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows niether victory nor defeat.
-Theodore Roosevelt.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Cougar351 said:
:rolleyes: :bs: :shakin head: you have SOOO much to learn young padiwan .... CHEAP BEER SUCKS !!!! ... It even SUCKED when that was all I could get .... YUCK ... :eek7: Bass, Guinness, Sam Adams ... "the days of sniffin the dirt are OVER" -nerdy a-hole from twister

·
Contributing Member
5,867 Posts
Who was that famous person who wrote that bumpersticker

"Do unto others and the split"

and more appropriatey at a time of high gas prices

"Save gas, fart in a jar"

but I think his most creative piece of wisdom was

"Eat prunes and set yourself free"

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ray said:
Another point just came to mind.
To use a C in a 69 U would have to use all the 70 rad and shroud, water pump, PS pump, PS hose/s, exhaust and associated brackets. Lotsa guys here know the grief associated with swapping Cs and Ws around between "wrong" year/s.
As a mechanic and someone whose worked on these cars plenty I can safely say that the only way a C fits a 69 is when U use all the 70 dressup with it including the list I gave above.
This makes it even more doubtful it happened in my mind but hey I don't know it all. I do know enough to state what I have though,,,,
Until I see a factory stamped head or block starting with a 9xxxxxxxx on a C well,,,,,color me skeptical.
Let me tell ya I know all about what a pain the 351 W to C swap is!!! Like Ray said you need to have '70 radiator, shroud and hoses. The alternator wiring harness was different PS pump and brackets, A/C brackets were all different. The vaccumm hook ups were different. I am sure I am missing a bunch of other stuff. But I do know that they may not have been available in '69 but they should have been!!! That is alot of power stuffed under my '69 hood!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
We seem to have quite a bit in common, kid.

Cougar351 said:
Keystone light baby!

The less I spend on gettin drunk, the more I spend on makin the Cougar fast :)
I'm down with that. Coors at 80's prices.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
The best beer is free and cold.......... Or at least somebody else's.
" Pay attention, you'll go faster".
I like that alot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was under the impression that the 351 Cleveland came out in the 1970 model years. But I came across a set of 351c manifolds that supposed came off a 69 Mach1. I've been a car nut most of my life, but recently got back into Fords. I could have sworn the 351C came out in 70. School me please. :buck:
I actually have 2 convertible 1969 original 351c cougars would love to show pictures!

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
I actually have 2 convertible 1969 original 351c cougars would love to show pictures!

No 1969 Cougar got a Cleveland from the factory. Kevin Marti has the factory records and published a book named "Cougar, By the Numbers".That does not mean your 2 69 Cougars don't have Cleveland's, but they were most likely swapped in to them at some time.

Mt 351 W

My 351 C

·
Registered
38 Posts
I see this is an old post revived. But the answer is yes. But only if it's a 69 1/2 AKA 70. July 1969 the Cleveland was in production. Some 69 1/2 Mustangs and Cougars did get the Cleveland. I seen one 69 Stang in Calif about 25 years ago with a 351C. But it all depends on how you look at it. 69 1/2 some call 69s due to the 69 features. But due to the VIN that makes it a 70. Yes they are rare, but so are 70 Twister Torino Cobra 429 SCJ 4spd and 69 1/2 Falcon 429SCJ.

·
Contributing Member
5,867 Posts
Wouldn't the answer be possibly? As 351Cs were rare in 1969, as production ramped up and as evidenced by 351W being installed in H code Cougars, it would be unusual to find one in a 69.

To verify that they existed we would need to see pictures, including vin and data plate details and casting numbers.

Would be neat to discover that it had happened

61 - 80 of 81 Posts