Mercury Cougar Owners banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Good point

If the part #'s are 70 #'s on the car the it is even more clear it could not have been a 69. Who knows what it is ? A 70 mustang made to look like a 69 mach one? with a Cleveland?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
J.D.Manger said:
If the part #'s are 70 #'s on the car the it is even more clear it could not have been a 69.
Sometimes a next year part # will appear at late production. Something I read here on MCnet about 67s with 68 part #s late in game.
I still don't believe any 69 got a 70 engine.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Ray said:
Sometimes a next year part # will appear at late production. Something I read here on MCnet about 67s with 68 part #s late in game.
I still don't believe any 69 got a 70 engine.
Ray, wasn't it the other way around? 1968 standard Cougars got 289s while earlier model year 1968 Cougar standards and XR-7s still got 302s?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Tim B said:
Ray, wasn't it the other way around? 1968 standard Cougars got 289s while earlier model year 1968 Cougar standards and XR-7s still got 302s?
T
Yes ,
My research indicates that 302s were installed in all 68s till they ran short due to a strike. Then they used 289s in stds and 302s in xr7s. I have 68 cat 000008 or 6 I forget which here and it has a 302 and is a std cat. I put the serial up on yahoo a month or so ago you might recall.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
http://www.calcruising.com/69mustang.html

Here is one. They are saying Factory 351C... BUT BUT..! upon closer inspection. It is a Windsor in there.

My friends 69 Mach1 did have a 351C but I would bet it was not the original "M" code engine. I remeber it was argued a lot that the cars engine was factory or not, almost everyday: :argue: . I never really cared and was amazed at how they went on and on.... I'de just grab me another champagne of beers and laugh :beer:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hmm. I really hate to jump in this one, but No 351 C's in 69 in anything... Hands down...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Cougar351 said:
The stuff you guys argue over boggles my mind some days...
........:eek7: ..........

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Cougar351 said:
The stuff you guys argue over boggles my mind some days...
I don't see this one as much of an arguement at all, there are no real personal character descriptors nor family lienage refrences at all. I didn't even notice a mention of livestock breeding. :lolani:

·
Registered
698 Posts
No Clevelands in 69.

KAR also thought they made Boss 302 Mustangs with the Drag pack option. They were wrong. NOBODY knows everything. There were no Ford products made in 1969 with the 351 Cleveland engine, period.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not an argument yet.

What fun would it be if everything was already figured out? Life would be pretty boring. Knew a lot of early 70 cars had Windsor's, didn't know about the 69 C controversy. Interesting. And very civilized.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Cougar351 said:
You guys argue over everything. After almost 40 years...youd think ya'll could figure this out by now!
You're 19. You'll learn that with a lot of old codgers their "memories" become their realities. Some of those memories have become Urban Legends, but still not true! Reality checks are never ending.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
This topic gets discussed once a year or so. Same results every year. Someone claims so and so has a factory C and we go thru the motions and find out the C is a W and that no C was ever installed in a 69. Trouble is every year there are new guys who haven't learnt yet and sometimes when we learn things its "difficult" to accept the facts.
Ironically this very arguement led to one of my best longtime friendships.
I was having a leak in grade 12 washroom and some of the other guys were discussing what was faster C or W. I listened and left. Months later I was working a new job and a guy who seemed smart enough engaged me in conversation about this C vs W thing. I stated the C was the ticket as was the case in 1979 still. Cs were beating Ws and bowties and almost everything else.
Anyway buddy says "No way man its the W. The W is the ticket engine."
Well, OK Have it your way and I ended the conversation basically writing the guy off as he clearly did not know nothin' bout Blue Ovals!
A few days later he approached me again and this time apologized. Told me he was mistaken and after talking with his Cougar buddy Tim realized I was indeed correct and not so full of it after all. Well he and I became freinds at that point, a friendship that has lasted over 25 years now.
So U see my young friend that this arguement has gone on longer than U have been with us on this planet.
People make mistakes. Few ever fess up to it and yes I am that petty I would write someone off over it too, lol.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Ray said:
This topic gets discussed once a year or so. Same results every year. Someone claims so and so has a factory C and we go thru the motions and find out the C is a W and that no C was ever installed in a 69. Trouble is every year there are new guys who haven't learnt yet and sometimes when we learn things its "difficult" to accept the facts.
The "other" related topic that comes up annually is "Is the 351C a big block??":buck:

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
CougarCJ said:
The "other" related topic that comes up annually is "Is the 351C a big block??":buck:
LOL
Lets tackle that one shall we. If it use's W bolt pattern for trans as well as same flexplate and uses same motor mounts as a W then its a small block. Now that always brings up "Small block Big block" and some say that is GM jingle but then one MCnet member (maybe cj750) disclosed a Ford catalogue that called out small and big block and whatdya know the C is in the SB family.
There are other definitions but the bolt pattern motor mount is enough for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Back up a gall darned second there boy.

The best race motor builders are the best because they know more than most everyone else. They got that way by knowing the answers to all these seemingly minor questions and then a lot more. The guys going the fastest ALWAYS have these guy's motors. I don't think any of those builders are 19 or find motor facts boring. Normally I like your attitude but, like displacement, there's no replacement for knowledge and experience. Pay attention, you'll go faster yet.:buck:

41 - 60 of 81 Posts