Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that the 351 Cleveland came out in the 1970 model years. But I came across a set of 351c manifolds that supposed came off a 69 Mach1. I've been a car nut most of my life, but recently got back into Fords. I could have sworn the 351C came out in 70. School me please. :buck:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
No Clevelands in '69. The introduction of the 351C for the '70 model year lineup was kind of a big deal for Ford. Lots of well-orchestrated fanfare and publicity at the time. They weren't going to mess that up by letting some out the door ahead of schedule.
If you find an exhaust manifold that fits a Cleveland head with a '69 part number, almost certainly its off a Boss 302.

Jay

·
Registered
162 Posts
They were in Mustangs and other Ford cars in 1969 but they didn't go into Cougars until 1970, but I'm not sure if they were W or C's engines. the 351c could have been an option in late '69 because the 351c replaced the 390 in most ford products that year. I never put anything past a car Manufacture for releasing things early.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I'd very much like to see a documented example of any '69 model FoMoCo product with a factory-installed 351 Cleveland.

Jay

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
A friend of mine had a 69 mouse mach 1 that had a Factory 351C.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
No I repeat No 69s of any make model or style got Cleveland engines aside from the Boss Mustangs and the Boss Cougars. None others.
1969 351W engine block -- both 2 barrel and 4 barrel engines -- C8TE-6015-A
1970 351W engine block -- both 2 barrel and 4 barrel engines -- C90E-6015-A or C90E-6015-B or D
1970 351C engine block -- Before 10/15/70 --D0AE-6015-A, C, E, G, J
1970 351C engine block -- After 10/15/70 --D0AE-6015L
1969 351 V-8 Windsor 2 barrel heads -- C90E-6090-A, B, D, F, or J

1969 351 V-8 Windsor 4 barrel heads -- C90E-6090-A, B, D, F, or J

1970 351 V-8 Windsor 2 and 4 barrel heads -- D00E-6090-C or D0AE-6090-J

1970 351 V-8 Cleveland 2 barrel heads -- D0AE-6090-E or D0AE-6090-J

1970 351 V-8 Cleveland 4 barrel heads -- D0AE-G, M, N, or R

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Ray-

This is a quote from the KAR Mustang Restoration and Sales web site. They're specifically referring to Mustang's, and NOT Cougar's. Are you saying that this information is correct or incorrect?

First of all, virtually all 1969 351 V-8 engines were Windsors and virtually all 1970 351 V-8 engines were Clevelands. There are a few exceptions. Over the years we have seen a few 1969 Mustangs with factory installed Cleveland engines. By checking the build dates of these Cleveland 1969’s we found that in every case these Mustangs were produced in the last week or two of 1969 production when perhaps the factory ran out of Windsor engines. Conversely, we have also seen very early production 1970 Mustangs equipped with 351 V-8 Windsor engines. Again, perhaps the producing factory was using up their supply of Windsor engines before beginning Cleveland engine production. In either case we have found these to be very rare occurrences.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
conv cat said:
Ray-

This is a quote from the KAR Mustang Restoration and Sales web site. They're specifically referring to Mustang's, and NOT Cougar's. Are you saying that this information is correct or incorrect?

First of all, virtually all 1969 351 V-8 engines were Windsors and virtually all 1970 351 V-8 engines were Clevelands. There are a few exceptions. Over the years we have seen a few 1969 Mustangs with factory installed Cleveland engines. By checking the build dates of these Cleveland 1969’s we found that in every case these Mustangs were produced in the last week or two of 1969 production when perhaps the factory ran out of Windsor engines. Conversely, we have also seen very early production 1970 Mustangs equipped with 351 V-8 Windsor engines. Again, perhaps the producing factory was using up their supply of Windsor engines before beginning Cleveland engine production. In either case we have found these to be very rare occurrences.
Barry
Its urban legend unless there is an engine tag showing date code that would fit the timeline U have listed.
In 70 2V 351s U got either W or C depending apparently on availability.
In 29 years of working on these cars I have not seen a 69 with a 70 engine yet.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Hmmm. Canadian Driver site states that there are Mach1's w/ 351c.

now to look in the 351 cleveland forum.

Reactions: jamesmingo

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
"First of all, virtually all 1969 351 V-8 engines were Windsors and virtually all 1970 351 V-8 engines were Clevelands"

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't 351 Windsors (2V) fairly common in 1970 Cougars in the beginning? If it's true maybe Ford was doling out a few 351 4V Clevelands to late 69 Mach1s? it was after all their "halo" car. Running model changes is nothing new.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
bowl said:
Hmmm. Canadian Driver site states that there are Mach1's w/ 351c.

now to look in the 351 cleveland forum.
An engine tag with corresponding codes for late model 69 would be the proof I would need to see. As we all know we can't believe everything we read but a tag would be proof I suppose. If a Mustang or any make model got a C in 69 its news to me.
K
well I am off to work so I'll look back in later.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It's A Quote

By checking the build dates of these Cleveland 1969’s we found that in every case these Mustangs were produced in the last week or two of 1969 production when perhaps the factory ran out of Windsor engines. Conversely, we have also seen very early production 1970 Mustangs equipped with 351 V-8 Windsor engines.
These guys, who appear to be somewhat of an authority regarding Mustang's, are saying that they've seen Cleveland's in 1969 Mustang's that were built at the very end of the model year. But they offer no documentation; only an explanation for what they've seen.

I'm with bowl...there's a lot of good (and accurate) information in the 335 Series Forum's. Those guys are Cleveland fanatics!

And hopefully this thread can be 'put to bed' before it wastes a dozen pages of Logan's bandwidth!

Reactions: bowl

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ray said:
As we all know we can't believe everything we read but a tag would be proof I suppose.
But it was a US missle that hit the Pentagon, Right????

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
swamper said:
But it was a US missle that hit the Pentagon, Right????
Did I say missile?
I meant "Show me da plane"
any part of a plane
or a hole big enough for a plane hot enough to evaporate in that didn't burn up the office's or the shingle roof yet/and recovered bodies from but lets stay on topic shall we?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
we have a missing plane, but NO mising missels. Then who's F****ing missel hit the Pentagon

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
conv cat said:
By checking the build dates of these Cleveland 1969’s we found that in every case these Mustangs were produced in the last week or two of 1969 production when perhaps the factory ran out of Windsor engines. Conversely, we have also seen very early production 1970 Mustangs equipped with 351 V-8 Windsor engines.
These guys, who appear to be somewhat of an authority regarding Mustang's, are saying that they've seen Cleveland's in 1969 Mustang's that were built at the very end of the model year. But they offer no documentation; only an explanation for what they've seen.

I'm with bowl...there's a lot of good (and accurate) information in the 335 Series Forum's. Those guys are Cleveland fanatics!

And hopefully this thread can be 'put to bed' before it wastes a dozen pages of Logan's bandwidth!
Thanks Barry
Color me skeptical till I see the tag or some better proof. I am open to the idea but will need some proof. Maybe by time I get back later U will have some and I will have learnt something but as of this moment near noon PDST April 13th I will have to stand by all 69s were Ws and in 70 all 4Vs were Cs and 2Vs were a mix of Cs and Ws

·
Registered
162 Posts
What the heck did I start?????? Do I get credit for this one? :what:

Reactions: bowl

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm not searching for proof either way. I was merely trying to be helpful by responding to the initial question. Whether there was or wasn't a Cleveland in a '69 Mustang will have absolutely no impact whatsoever on my future, nor will I lose any sleep waiting for that proof.

My response came from a family whose experience with Mustang restoration and sales goes back more than twenty years. He says he's seen them.

We can't intellectually nor intelligently disagree with him, because in essence, then we'd be saying that he's wrong, or even worse, that he's lying about what he says that he saw...more than just once.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts