Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yup went. and guess what? they said the tranny seems to be ok. they said its " engine movement" thats making the car shake. so all the way home i was listening to the car and i heard the same old noises, but was really really trying to isolate where they were coming from. sounded like a moaning of sorts accomponied by the vibration. hard to describe the sound, but its like a metal on metal rubbing. not a grinding, but a whistle-moaning sound. like when you are trying to undo a bolt thats rusted on. kind of like that. now, the car also clunks a bit during teh 1-2 shift. what im thinking might be the problem is maybe it chunked another U joint. maybe its binding? i mean, the car doesnt vibrate exc when you take off. and even then not all the time. the U joints are pretty damn new as it put them in over a month before this started and i did put a few miles on them. yes, i greased them before i put them on as well. any thoughts on what to look for when inspecting them? i mean, im kind of relieved that they said its not the tranny, but now i have to find out what it really is. thoughts? suggestions? ridicule?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
motor mounts seem to be ok. the shifter lever doesnt move at all when power braking either, so the tranny one seems alright too. im not sure what else it might be. thought it would have been the motor mounts, but i know for a fact that the 67 has a bad mount and the 69 isnt doing anything like what that one is doing lol. well see. gonna try to put it on a bay lift tomorrow and give it a look over.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Do you get the noise when the engine is reved up in neutral or park? If yes, that would eliminate the u-joints. Take a close look at the shocks towers and see if they are scratched, a broken motor mount lets the engine lift and the stock manifold bolts tend to scratch the towers.
Engine movement will make a car shake, so will tires that are out of balance or the front end is aligned, at least when it's moving. (I'm coming into this discussion late so I don't know all the details)
Also check the exhaust to see if it has rubber mounts of if something has fallen loose.
Does the engine idle and accelerate smoothly?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
engine idles smooth and it only does it when in gear. i have video of how the 67's engine jumps up and the 69 does nothing like that at all. 69s engine seems to stay put. umm exhaust seems ok and tightly in place. i powerbraked it today to put a load on it and i did hear the noise when i was doing that too. obviously wasnt under the car so im not really sure what was doing it though. im leaning towards the U joint route at the moment. yes, the engine itself seems to be doing fine. once its shifted out of 1st gear it seems ok. basically when its up to speed. ill occasionally get some crap when it downshifts as well, but not all the time as well. well see

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't know Steve, when I drove your car it did the exact same thing mine did after I got the shift kit... and my valve body had a stripped bolt. I think its your tranny. I would take it to another shop. When I drove yours, and gave it a little gas, the steering column, and everything in the car started shaking violently (I thought it was going to fall apart), then it was fine, and never did it again... that just seems a little too strange... for the hell of it... try powerbraking in reverse too, to see if the passenger side mount is bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts