Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i got the intake today so now i am going to attempt my frist rebuild of a carburator. Has anyone done this and if so am i completely crazy for attempting this.

It's a Model 1850-2 600 cfm mech choke Holley

First and foremost how do i know it needs a rebuild?

Then if it does what all is involved , i want to try this cause i feel like i have done nothing to my Cat and would like to accomplish something.

Water pump and timing chain come tomm, then fun really begins!

Here is the list:
Install new Valve seals
timing chain (Coyles True Roller) Thanks Rick
Weiand Action Plus Water pump
Edelbrock Performer 3512v intake
Holley 600cfm Carb
Aluminum Valvecovers.

I will take before and after pics of the process for everyone to see...lol

Thanks(going at this with both guns blazing)
:badass:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Why are you rebuilding your Holley? It's not a difficult procedure, per se, but if it ain't broke (or in a Holley's case - leaking).....
If you are going for it, just get a good quality kit - not some cheap no name auto parts store one size fits all kit - and make sure that the power valve(s) are correct and watch your float adjustments. First and formost keep you, your work area and all of the parts VERY CLEAN. One grain of sand can ruin your whole day.
:)
Have fun!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can i leak test it off the car?

I don't know if it leaks because i got it from a friend and it was already off the car and in a pile ..it looks good and the linkage is not wobblie , but i do have to relpace the shaft where the kickdown would be , i have one on the way(shaft and all) but otherwise i think it works fine.

Oh the kit i have for it is one for a Auto tune made for carbs 3160, 4150, 4160 family.

I have never done this so i am sitting in front of my computer with it behind me on a big table with all my tools and just waiting unless i have a ?.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
In that case, go right for it. It really isn't difficult, you just want everything as clean as possible, all the passages clean as well. Chances are your kit has more parts than you need because it fits different models. Just match your seals and gaskets to the old ones because the wrong ones will physically fit. Make sure that your passages line up, etc.
And be careful with your solvents and fluids - you quit smoking so that takes a lot of the "fun" out of working with gas and cleaning fluids....
;)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Also,, use a good dose of carb cleaner and compressed air, and do it outside. There are alot of little air bleeds and passages in the carb, and make sure they are clean, or you will have problems later on if they arent. Be patient (sounds familiar doent it), read the kit first before you tackle it so you know what your getting into, and set it up as per instructions, and you wont have any problems. If you run into any trouble, give me a holler, and Ill help as much as I can.

Rick

·
Registered
669 Posts
Holley's are pretty basic. After you do this one, you'll be wanting to take it apart again and try different jets and so on!!
Good luck.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hehe almost set to go..but?

One question.. i am also doing the timing chain one here. does the timing cover come off without having to drop the oil pan?

God i hope so...lol

PLMK.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You will need to loosen the front of the pan enough to get the timing cover out, but you will not have to "drop" the pan.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool thanks

Hey i just noticed that your from NH, we are neighbors...sortof...lol

I am gonna come up there and bug ya one day...lol

Thanks

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I was wondering when you would notice that! :p:
Are you going to the show in CT this weekend?
We'll be going down, along with my folks. My Cougar is STILL at the body shop and I have my father's 66 'stang in my garage but we'll still be looking even if we can't show.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Show...hmmm where in CT

Is it the Mustangs Unlimitied one?
well if so i might stop by there and it would be nice to meet some fellow Cat lovers.

e- mail me off list and we can exchange phone #'s

C ya

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh by the way

Yes we should be going to the show, it is only 45 min from here.

Also posted a pic of the intake carb and Valve covers in the gallery:Setup

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
sounds good. If you have a cellphone we can swap numbers so we meet up.
Like the new pieces and parts.
More Power. Arr arr arr. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts