Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i went out today to work on Ginger and well i noticed some bubble rust on the lower edge of the drivers side 1/4...one tap with my foot(and i mean a light tap) confirmed it...i now have matching 1/4's both with rust ridden holes right after the doors!
Well this did it for m since i had the car i have not caught a break with it...so i am going to keep her for a parts car and i have a line on another car out west...which by the end of this month should be happily residing in my driveway....i may be willing to part out certain peices of the car if needed, but i do not know what i may need for the new car, all i know is that the new car is in great shape both mech and body wise and i am having someone look at it since i cannot be there myself. Anywho, i will be posting pics and all of her when she arrives, i have already sealed the deal and i just need to get the money together, so hopefully selling some parts will help me out:)
Just wanted to tell you all, oh and the project is still on justgonna be on a different cat!
Catz ya all later:)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
R.I.P Tiger..............:(

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Too bad you can't sue for all of the time you worked on it in Photoshop. :lol2:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dayle,
No RIP tiger, she will live just not in Ginger but in my new car a 71 XR-7!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Cool deal, Dave!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
You can have the best of both worlds I would put the 73's taillights on the 71 that would look great IMHO. I always liked the 73 tail better than the 71/2 but I think that the 71/2 grill looks much better than the 73 5MPH bumper treatment.... My.02

BTW what color is the 71 now?

Don

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Details

Don,
the 71 was originally Med Ginger metallic, it is now a bright red with a full vinyl top, i am awaiting pictuers of the car there is one from where i found it but it only shows half the car...lol
I have spent alot of time talking with the lady who owns it on the phone and she is awesome, she has owned the car for 24 years, had it brought in for maintence every 6 months, the car has been painted twice since she owned it. It has a white and black interior, the seats were recoverd in the correct white vinyl, new door panels, and head liner. Power windows, and A/C.
It has a FMX and a 3.00 rear(open) and a 351C 2V. Car has 154,000 on it but runs good. It was a California car form day one, and was owned by a little old lady then by it's current owner. It has only been hit once and that was in the front but it only did enough damage to warrent a new grill and some paint work.
I am having Dennis from the Stray cats check it out for me next week(thanks xr7gt for contacting him!) to let me know the details since i cannot look at it in person.
I can provide more info if ya need just ask...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Looks pretty good in the picture. If the whole car is as nice, you should be all set.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You'll be a LOT happier with a good California car. But, we do get rust here too. Check out Steve's beach cruiser 67! If they lived their life on the coast the salty air will eat 'em from the top down! Hopefully it's an "inland" CA car.

The best scenario is a desert car that was never left outside in the hot sun, only driven at night?! LOL

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
it DOES look very nice.... I like the color shceme.... go figure.. LOL (See redcat) you should have one nice ride.... just put the 73 tails on it LOL
and.. your gonna have to change your NICK!!!

Don

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LMAO,
Tim the car resides in Castro Valley.. Any rust that did find it's way onto the car has been taken care of with haste. When the car was having the door redone passenger side that is( some girl was backing up with all her doors open and dinged it pretty good), they noticed the dreded 1/4 rust beginging to form, well they took care of that in a hurry! So hopefully Dennis will bring me back a good report...altho i can hardly wait a week for the news:(
Anywho i hope it's all good!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point Don,
If the car is really nice i may just leave her the way she is for now, no need in repainting the car again...lol
I am going to put my tailights in and i also want to put my grill on because i love the chrome suround on it. I am leaving the 71 bumper and all tho. Also from my car i am transfering the duals and the tires and wheels and possibly my Grant wheel depending on how her's is. Oh and did you know that the simple addition of a overflow tank for the rad stopped her cleveland overheating issue? I thought that was pretty damn cool (pun intended)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
haha.... Dave I don't think that the grill will work unless your only talking 'bout the chrome piece on the hood and not the actual grill. The 73 is a bit shorter than the 71s

IMHO

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Thats a really nice looking car Dave, congrats, but I still feel for poor Ginger, can you imagine how she is feeling now, all that PS7 to make her look great and now she is not even going to see a flame, or a growling cat, I think you should keep her somewhere nice and safe and then when your ship sails in, redo her the way you wanted to. Now you know why we have so many cars, I humanize them all, could never part with one.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don,
Yes i do mean the chrome on the hood.
Dayle,
I agree i am going to try and keep her but the list of rust is getting bigger...i just today noticed that my Passenger door has a 11 inch long rusted out hole on the bottom edge(the inside edge under the door panel where the door bottom curves in to meet the outer edge)
So it's starting to get bad....i am so heartbroken:(

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Cut out the rust and weld in new plates, oh I make it sound so easy, have pity on us, you have seen the pictures of our ranchero, posted in the den a while back, there is more rust on her than metal, but our motto is, so long as she still retains her shape she is fixable, hmmmm, think I should get a cutting torch and see what I can do about another body....

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
POOR KITTY!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts