Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
xr7gt said:
eh hem! It is the 390 GT Engine :1poke: just not the GT package in my case the bigger springs shocks GT emblems and sway bar.
Sensitive, aren't I?
Yeah, anyone who knows ANYTHING about our Cougars knows that the GT Package included the dust-FREE fan shroud... :ducking:

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is my understanding that some cars badged '6.5L' are actually GT's. I am going off of all hearsay here, but to the best of my knowledge, the only way to tell if your S-code is a GT is to look at the buck tag on the radiator support for the letters 'GT' which denotes the GT suspension package. While most 6.5L badged cars are not GT's, there are apparently some that are. I know of such a car in Vancouver, Canada. '68 XR-7, has under 100,000 original miles, is unrestored, is badged as a 6.5L, but says GT on the buck tag, and has a sway bar bigger than the one on my 6.5L X-code '68.
-Alan

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Alan
GT on buck tag does indicate GT suspension according to the buck tag decoder I have priviledge to view as I have stepped up and volunteered for VP of CCoA. I can not post or send copys of it though however I can answer questions and I hope this answer helps you all here in this thread

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Just curious, Ray, but isn't that decoder available to all? Or is it just the door/VIN decoder that everyone has access to?

And if the buck-tag decoder can only be seen by a select crowd, why is that?

Again, not trying to prod or poke anything or anyone (well, unless I can somehow insert a jab at Garey about dust :lol2: ), just curious.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yeah the bucktag decoder is availible on the CCOA site, just hit the registry button and you`ll find it there :angelg:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got a San Jose 68 XR-7 6.5L x-code. Went out to look for the radiator buck tag then came back to find the notes about that being Dearborn only. Is there any where else to find the suspension type without going out to measure the sway bar. It does have front disk brakes if that makes a difference. Also, coincidentaly, the car lives in Vancouver and is unrestored (for now).

Colin

·
Registered
321 Posts
Colin, you can order a Marti Report www.martiauto.com and they'll send you, your car's production history and original options.

That's how I discovered my 6.5 wasn't a GT. The DPO([email protected] previous owner!) had the magic touch to be able to mess with everything on the car. Making it hard to indentify what it did and didn't have originally. :rolleyes:

-Rob

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
draftman57 said:
I've got a San Jose 68 XR-7 6.5L x-code. Went out to look for the radiator buck tag then came back to find the notes about that being Dearborn only. Is there any where else to find the suspension type without going out to measure the sway bar. It does have front disk brakes if that makes a difference. Also, coincidentaly, the car lives in Vancouver and is unrestored (for now).

Colin
X Code = 2V
S Code = 4V
GT's only had S Code engines so all of the suspension stuff wouldn't apply to an X code Cougar

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
tell ya what garey i will pay ya twice what you paid for it. a heck tell ya what i will pay ya 100 times the amount you paid for it. or ya could always put the heavier suspension and a couple of GT badges on the side. Ya know ya got a buddy in the hi desert with a set of those badges but there early 67 and he just happens to have the actual GT aircleaner laying around as well. :D

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
TallCowboy0614 said:
Just curious, Ray, but isn't that decoder available to all? Or is it just the door/VIN decoder that everyone has access to?

And if the buck-tag decoder can only be seen by a select crowd, why is that?

Paul,
Not sure exactly why or what the politics of the buck codes are (I suppose its one of the benefits of volunteering at CCoA) just that I was advised not to post the data at this time and only to answer questions regarding bucks when opportunity arose.
As I understand it our Cougar buck tag research is not as extensive or thorough as Mustang Club of Americas is but hey we have 1/10 the cars and even less manpower eeking out these details.
You all know I am bout sharing the information and accuracy is my agenda so VP made sence when no one else was willing period.
VP, btw, is about tech, judging and working w/vendors on reproduction parts all things I am interested in. I was asked if I would be interested in the seat ( I actually did not eek out or volunteer) due to my experience/background and agenda for accuracy. Thats why you'll mainly only see posts from me if I think I have something valid to add otherwise I keep fairly busy making parts restoring parts and answering tech questions as is. Today I assembled some "Raystored" clocks and lens for Cougars.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Greg, I'll take that stuff off your hands..
And
Garey, if you don't want the cat, give me a call.. :)

Bruce

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Ray, can you decode this? LOL

only to answer questions regarding bucks when opportunity arose.

Where would you like to start?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Post a question about the data on a buck that is not obviously known and I'll see if I can elaborate some. If by chance you have codes we have not seen maybe you can help us?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Ray, try these. I know several of these, I think.
1967 STERO CL
1968 EX INT A B C D E
1969 CL AM IW CS ST SC GT
1970 ST SBR
1971 DE ST FM
1972 ST XR AM

On the 1969 with "IW" I am sure that it is not TW.
I only have one tag with a single letter of the alphabet, but understand that there were single letters A through at least E.

Go on Mr. VP
I only gave you the ones that I am unclear on. I understand the more common ones. By any chance have will there be Metuchen body buck tag codes included with the future book that Kevin Marti is set to publish?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
[1967 STERO stereo am 8 track and CL Courtesy Lights
1968 EX INT A B C D E - EXport Dealer? no data on singles
1969 AM-Stereo speaker mounting / AMFM/Antenna Mounting? allthough its not in there I bet IW is Intermitent Wiper CS comp suspension ST Stereo GT GT suspension

1970 ST AM / FM / 8 Track Stereo?
SBR Automatic Seat Back Release

1971 DE Defroster ?
ST AM / FM / 8 Track Stereo?
FM = AM / FM Stereo?

1972 ST= AM / FM / 8 Track Stereo?
XR = XR7 or 1/2 Vinyl Roof?
AM Stereo speaker mounting / AMFM/Antenna Mounting?

.These with ? marks are as they appear in CCoA data

Q- By any chance have will there be Metuchen body buck tag codes included with the future book that Kevin Marti is set to publish?
A- Dunno on that one

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Ray, I have several XR's for 1971 and 1972. At least one of them is on a standard hard top.

I will give you the entire door tag code and buck tag code on the most puzzling buck tag that I have.

8F91J577661
65A T 2D 17F 32 5 W

buck
8F91J577661 65A T 52
2D PB PARCH
EX RM
PS INT E

1968 Dearborn standard with 302 4V
standard with bucket seats
Cardinal Red
Decor red interior
June 17, 1968 build date
Cincinnati DSO
3.00 non locking
C4 transmission
Power brakes, parchment vinyl top, remote mirror, power steering.

That is what I have determined on this Cougar.

2 years ago Jim Pinkerton started working with Kevin Marti on some of the obscure buck tag codes. I lent a hand and submitted this tag. That is why I know that there are single letters A through at least E. I know that I have found a D and one other letter from cars viewed at shows. Jim knew that I had a grip of tags that fell off of Cougars that I have found in scrap yards all over California, Arizona, Nevada, and Idaho.
I wish that Ford had never gone to the paper door tags for two reasons. 1. they are usually faded out when found and 2. I can't collect them.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
EX export?
D does show as Dealer?
So far there has been no real formal change into VP for me. I imagine as time goes on I will become more knowing and aware of the plights of the past. Jim P and I are in contact as well so I'm sure he'll bring me up to speed in due course. I recieved the buck tag sheet a couple weeks ago when I was trying to help someone else out. So far thats all I have had privy to.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I may be interested in selling it, but not giving it away

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Oh, yeah. This is Garey's thread. Sorry about the highjacking. :p:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts