Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am having a strange issue after I finished repainting my rear light housings.

I spent about 4 weeks repainting my tail light housings. I got them back on the car and now I am having intermittent turn signal issues.

The turn signals will work for a little while (like 10ish seconds) and then the dash indicators go out, and the sequentials don't run or activate at all. When they are running only the outer two lights activate right now. If I let it sit for several minutes it will work again for a moment and then go out.

Since I have spent a good amount of time with the wiring diagrams and the troubleshooting guides I am thinking it is tripping the circuit breaker (CB2). But why?

Is this a grounding issue and I just need to file some of the paint away from the tail light connector area in the housing? Or do I have a grounding issue somewhere else?

Brake lights work fine all the time (I initially had some bulbs that were dim when activating brake lights)
Running lights work fine all the time

So, I know the bulbs work in low and high power modes.

I have already replaced the turn signal switch in the column with the full part from WCCC and replaced the in-line fuse under the dash. Before repainting the housings everything worked perfectly.

Thoughts? Ideas?

car-shot-back.jpg housings.jpg tl-after-install-day.jpg tl-after-install-night.jpg

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, but my understanding is that the light connectors are grounded thru their contact on the housing. So, do I start with removing paint from the area where the connector goes?

Daniel

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Right, but my understanding is that the light connectors are grounded thru their contact on the housing. So, do I start with removing paint from the area where the connector goes?

Daniel
Yes !

·
Registered
726 Posts
To reiterate, where the light sockets push into the housings need to absolutely clean, and where the nuts holding the housings to the body needs to be clean; clean meaning no paint. I had the same problem after my car was painted; wasn't getting any good grounds from the housing to the car body.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, I'll break out the file in the next couple of days and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks!

Daniel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brake lights work fine all the time (I initially had some bulbs that were dim when activating brake lights)
Running lights work fine all the time

Are the bulbs installed correctly? I have seen them installed backwards causing this part of problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, just a quick follow-up on this one. I figured out the problem is actually in the wiring under the dashboard. All the grounds were good, all the bulbs were good. The problem seemed to happen when the car warmed up or after using the signals a few times.

After a few emails with Mr Yarberry I started to back trace the other things I had replaced. Namely the Turn Signal Cam and the Inline Fuse. Well, after moving things around I discovered there is some kind of short happening in the wiring harness that is causing them to go out. I moved the harness to getting working and will have to dig into that mess another time.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Are the bulbs installed correctly? I have seen them installed backwards causing this part of problem.
The type of bulb used can be installed only one way.

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Me TOO!! I think it's an art.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts