Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone scaled a small block '67-'68?

There is a street drag radial class starting up in the area. Just for fun I may be interested in giving it a try. I'm a spectator of less than a handful of straight line racing events so I'm not sure which direction to go with my '68.

Does the Cougar wheel base give an advantage/disadvantage for this type of racing (vs the 108" Mustang or Camaro)? Does it help to relocate the motor when you run in the non-street classes?

Thanks, suspension questions may follow as we get closer to discovering available options. :)

·
11,000 Posts
I weighed my '67 XR-7 289 / 4 speed car on several occasions at Green Valley Raceway back in the 1970's. It weighed 3550 with me inside, at the time I weighed 170 lbs. Always raced with a full tank of gas for traction purposes, car was stock except a Torker aluminum intake/ Holley 600, $69.95 Cyclone headers and a Crane Blazer cam kit. Ran mid 14's at around 92.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what year it closed, but I remember hearing commerials for Green Valley on the radio (Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!...).

Rules allow 3200lbs minimum for small blocks, now if I can just find where I can cut 350lbs of the front end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Decided to enjoy the nice weather today and scale the car ('68).
Here's how it turned out >

LF 978 RF 687
total 3330
LR 743 RR 742

Rear 44.6%
Left 51.7%

302 w/ C4
16 gals fuel
AC compressor removed
Aluminum intake
Battery in truck
Spare tire removed
180lb driver

Without driver >
LF 891 RF 872
total 3150
LR 677 RR 710

Rear 44.0%
Left 49.7%

·
Registered
216 Posts
I race my 68 with a 302/C4 setup, my car weighs 3200 with me in it. It has much of the interior removed, racing seats, 4pt roll cage. The dash is complete, door panels with armrests are in it, but no carpet, headliner, or rear interior quarterpanel trim. The front is heavy due to the metal headlight assemblies I'm sure, along with all of the vacuum motors and such, but moving your battery is a step in the right direction.

I presently run 9" slicks, but have been thinking about buying a set of DOT slicks to try racing is the class you are discussing. Most of the street racer crowd don't squeal too loud about my slicks because I don't win!

My guess is the Cougar has an advantage over the Mustang due to the longer rear end/leaf springs... I don't know the wheel base dimensions of either car to compare. I further suppose the Cougar headlight stuff outweighs the Mustangs by a good bit, so this may offset the rear end advantages.

All the Ford guys at the strip like my Cougar... there arent any others and it breaks up the monotony of all tose Pony cars.

My car's fastest pass is 13.17 at 103mph... I think it will tune into the mid 12's with a better fuel pump and a little higher stall converter. Converter presently stalls at 3000rpm.

4.86 rear, 9" w/ ladder bars, mini-spool, (poor man's posi)subframe connectors. 6200 on the ticker through the traps.

Ron.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
drShelby said:
Anyone scaled a small block '67-'68?

There is a street drag radial class starting up in the area. Just for fun I may be interested in giving it a try. I'm a spectator of less than a handful of straight line racing events so I'm not sure which direction to go with my '68.

Does the Cougar wheel base give an advantage/disadvantage for this type of racing (vs the 108" Mustang or Camaro)? Does it help to relocate the motor when you run in the non-street classes?

Thanks, suspension questions may follow as we get closer to discovering available options. :)

Well technically all other things equal if you moved the rear axle 3" forward you would increase the rear % . That said the longer overhang from the rear axle centerline back to the rear bumper on the Cougar will offset the longer wheelbase somewhat so its probably still not that big a difference. mm

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If you're serious about changing your f/r ratio, remove the headlight assembly. Ronzoni mentioned this, but seriously the whole unit weighs well over 100 lbs. (Of course, then you lose one of the coolest styling cues of the Cougar...)
But if you're lookin' to drop the weight of the front, do that and then get some aluminum heads and intake for another ~100 lbs. savings (just the intake manifold on my car went from ~50 lbs to ~20 lbs, guesstimate).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Headlight assy 100lbs, wow. If I knew anything about casting parts in durable plastic I would give it a try (at least for replacing the headlamp doors, could even chrome coat the appropriate vertical bars)!

The '68-'79? Nova share a common wheelbase with the Cougar. I think the '67-'81 Camaro and '67?-? Mustang wheelbase was 108". I'm sure that all these chassis have been modified to make fast passes at the strip, just wasn't sure if the longer wheelbase was a significant factor for weight transfer in hooking up the rear tire.

ronzoni - 4.86's are you running the 26" or 28" tire? I have a power glide and a motor with a stroke closer to 3.5" that I want to try. In that range I've got 4.86, 5.14 and 5.43's - with mini-spool, I hope the 28 spline is up for the challenge! I think I might start out trying with the 4.86's to see if the tires hook.

They're not allowing the ladder bar in this local street class, sure would have made things easier. I think fiberglass front ends/bumpers are out too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm running the M/T 28 x 10, it's actually about 9" wide at the "tread". I have yet to give up the unique styling of the closed headlight front end, even for the huge weight savings in the most optimal location that one could shave weight. After all, if I just wanted to go fast, I'd be running a 5.0 like everyone else. Who's to say that I wouldn't pop them out for adjusment, etc... and take the car to the strip that weekend, but seriously, I would only consider it on a most temporary, experimental basis.

Ron.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Or, once we all figure out how to make lovely electric headlight door-openers, you can chuck the 50 pounds of vacuum canisters/motors and their supports! :) I too couldn't bring myself to lose those doors, they're so classy and distinctive! I just remember lugging a complete assembly into our attic.....:cry:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts