Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question
Can someone tell me what is the weight of a harmonic Balancer for a 67 cougar w/ a 289?
Thanks in advance.

·
11,000 Posts
Not sure of the exact weight, around 5 pounds I would guess. You can use any of the three bolt pulley equipped harmonic balancers, all have the correct imbalance for a 289/ 302 / 351W in the pre - 1970 modle years.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Was the question for actual weight, mass weight, or imbalance weight?

School me on this guys, I had been led to believe that the 28oz and 50oz imbalance thing pertained to the flexplates/flywheels?

Crankshaft dampeners or crankshaft balancers, are all different for pretty much each engine, each year.

·
Registered
305 Posts
School me on this guys, Crankshaft dampeners or crankshaft balancers, are all different for pretty much each engine, each year.
I found this on the web so it has to be true. I have a shudder in the engine on my mustang that used to have a 260 from the factory in it. It somehow wound up with a 289 in it. In my research to resolve this very very mild shudder I came across this:

http://www.fordsmallblock.com/PDF/SmallBlockV8Balancing.pdf

It shows what you are in question about....also I discovered my 289 has a 260 harmonic balancer and who knows which flexplate. I will swap out to a 289 balancer next and if the shudder does not go away I will be IDing the flexplate and fixing that if needed.
John

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi there..I have a quick question about the weight of the stock harmonic balancer. What exactly is the weight, I searched on the forums and did a quick google search but found nothing.

·
11,000 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts